E35ECSM stalls when throttle opened

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally had one day of trouble-free and full power service from the outboard. :) Then when returning to port from a day of fishing the engine lost power suddenly under way and would run with throttle about half open after that. Drained carburetor and did a crude check of throttle sychronization. After that I got full power again for a short test run. The next day the problem persisted and first-aid did not help.

- The engine stalls immediately at about the same time as throttle flap begins to open.
- If throttle is opened very slowly to WOT the engine remains running but delivers only maybe 10hp judging by speed.
- RPM fluctuates a little when run this way.
- Pumping more fuel by hand did not help.

I suspect that some remains of the trashed drain plug gasket wound into the high speed orifice, but what else could cause it? I have the boat now sitting for winter and will check ignition, fuel system and caruburetor throughoutly during winter again. :/

64osby

Admiral
Re: E35ECSM stalls when throttle opened

I think you nailed the problem.

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: E35ECSM stalls when throttle opened

Serviced the carb today. There indeed was a small piece of the gasket(?) in the high speed nozzle. Little enough to get through the orifice and then stuck in the nozzle. Perhaps it could have caused the problem, will see the next spring.