Starter Issues

Jackall

Cadet
Hello, I was out on the water yesterday running the boat and just as soon as I was going to put the boat back on the trailer I went to start the motor and the motor wouldnt crank. I took the cover off and the starter where the teeth are suposed to raise to the flywheel spins but dosent actually make contact with the flywheel. (Sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly). My question is, can I fix/adjust this or is it pretty much done for and I have to buy a new one? Nothing looks/sounds broken. By the way the motor is a 40 hp rude 1993; model number TE40ELETB

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter Issues

It looks like you need to oil up the shaft that the starter gear rides on. Those will get gummed up after while and not function propery. Spray it down good with brake cleaner then put some light weight oil on it.

Jackall

Cadet

It looks like you need to oil up the shaft that the starter gear rides on. Those will get gummed up after while and not function propery. Spray it down good with brake cleaner then put some light weight oil on it.

When I turn the ignition it spins just fine, it dosent seem like somethings holding it back from comming up, I've never had a problem with this before, it just happened out of no where..if it were lacking lubrication, wouldn't there be any kind of warning before it stopped working?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Starters don't give any kind of warning. Try what I suggested and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then you may need to check all your electrical connections and see that they are shiney clean. Plus check your battery and make sure that it's up to parr and it passes a load test.

Jackall

Cadet

alright, i'll give it a shot, now when you say spray it down with brake cleaner, do I need to take the starter apart or just spray it while its on the motor? (stupid quesiton I know)

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Just spray it on the shaft ;no need to take anything off, then use a little light oil and see what happens.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, what he said. :D:D The shaft and gear tend to get a bit sticky after while. It's common.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

...also common when the battery is not fully charged. Ensure it is charged, load tested, and ensure all connections are not corroded/loose. Faulty wiring could also be to blame.