Screws loose and stripped

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
On a recently used purchased of 29 foot Powerquest FX, I need some advise how to fix two of my display panels that are used to mount all of my guages and toggle switches. Both aluminum plates are mounted to the fiberglass console with#8 stainless steel flat head screws. The problem is that almost all of the screws that are screwed into the fiberglass console no longer grip into the fiberglass console which is only about 3/8 of an inch thick. All of the holes are oversized and I need to know what I need to do to make the srews have something to grab onto to hold both of these aluminum display panels to the fiberglass consoles. I was thinking of gluing down some plywood to the bottom inside of each console. Just open to any suggestions to fix this problem.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Screws loose and stripped

1: fill all holes with marine tex and redrill.... OR,

2: attach with nuts on the backside if you have access... lastly,

3: T nuts could be installed from the back...

personally I'd go with option 1

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Or,bend a small piece of wire[ie.bailing wire] in a 'u' shape,stick the wire in the hole then put the screw in it.Don't over tighten.

Thalasso

Commander

1: Fill all holes with marine tex and redrill.... Or,

2: Attach with nuts on the backside if you have access... Lastly,

3: T nuts could be installed from the back...

personally i'd go with option 1

;);)

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

how often will you need to access behind panel? you migt want machine threads as the anchor

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think these things are called rivnuts. They go in from the top; then a "setting" screw is run in and as it tightens it draws the end in like a pop rivet. Unscrew the "setting" bolt/screw and you have a solid threaded hole for machine screws. They hold better than the originals.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think these things are called rivnuts. They go in from the top; then a "setting" screw is run in and as it tightens it draws the end in like a pop rivet. Unscrew the "setting" bolt/screw and you have a solid threaded hole for machine screws. They hold better than the originals.

Yup... Rivnuts. They're used a lot in the aviation industry. They make them for different thickness materials like pop rivets so get the correct one if you use them. They also have an installation tool like pop rivets, very easy to use and work great.

Thalasso

Commander

Yup... Rivnuts. They're used a lot in the aviation industry. They make them for different thickness materials like pop rivets so get the correct one if you use them. They also have an installation tool like pop rivets, very easy to use and work great.

Where would you get these and just how do they work?

NYBo

Admiral

I was thinking of gluing down some plywood to the bottom inside of each console.
IF you have access to do this, the simple answer is to use machine screws and nuts. I used nylok nuts on my instrument panel so they won't vibrate loose. You could go with Allen screws for a more industrial look.
chrome-button-head-socket-screws.jpg