Tilt and Trim amperage draw

Rmoore45

Seaman
Hi guys just a quick question.

Does anyone know about how many amps the tilt and trim motor draws? I have a 1978 Johnson 115 if it makes a difference.

Reason I ask is because I'm making a relay system so my motor will go up and down, I'm wondering weather to use little relays or larger starter motor solenoids.

Thanks, Ranger

Re: Tilt and Trim amperage draw

3 wire trim motors seem to use one solinoid for up and straight wired for down the newer 2 wire motors use 2 relays. i dont know of a solinoid that would work as a replacement for a relay for the 2 wire motors so a relay is the only option. if i remember right the trim uses a 20amp fuses and most relays are rated at 30-40 amps so you will ok with relays on a 2 wire motor

Rmoore45

Seaman

Thanks for the info.

The motor I have is a 3 wire motor, 1 wire is ground and the other 2 are positive but reverse the direction of the motor. You are right, it did only have one solenoid for up and straight wired for down. I don't like that system so I'm changing it to something that is easier and simpler.

RRitt

Captain

find a used mercury wiring harness off ebay. mercury has the best trim wiring. for a 3w motor stick with the mercury 3w which uses solenoids. it will cause less confusion if anybody else ever works on the boat.

Thanks for the info.

The motor I have is a 3 wire motor, 1 wire is ground and the other 2 are positive but reverse the direction of the motor. You are right, it did only have one solenoid for up and straight wired for down. I don't like that system so I'm changing it to something that is easier and simpler.

i dont believe in fixing something that isnt broke unless theres a good reason. if you plan to use more than one switch to tilt the motor or you plan to use a modern switch that can not handle the ampage required then install a couple of relays as there cheap and easy to get hold off. i dont think you can get any simpler than the original set up but with the correct colored wire you can make the relays real easy to understand

RRitt

Captain

The wire length is biggest problem with original setup. The voltage drop inside wire makes the direct wired system more susceptible to brown out problems which can also lead to motor longevity problems. For ease of install, performance, and reliability the relay design is clearly superior. The cost of #12 OOW (oil, ozone, weather) type copper is high enough that relay/solenoid setup is often less expensive.

The Yamaha type systems are not worth using because they have proprietary parts with no benefit beyond increased corporate profits. The OMC versions have a poor reliability record as they tried to get to clever with an integrated box design. The common problem among 2w trim wiring is that the manufacturers try to design a system that forces you to buy their maintenance parts. The end result is never better, often inferior, and always more expensive. The version developed by USMarine in the late 1980's still stands as the best design ever. It is in current use by mercury. The USMarine design pulls trim power from starter with inline 30A fuse protection. The relays are standard 12v Bosch headlight relays bolted to the engine pan or starter bracket. The relays cost under $2 each in bulk. $4ish in small quantities. For marine use, buy the ones with removable metal tab and a bead of glue sealing the case.. The superiority of the USMarine-Force system is due to its simplicity and use of industry standard parts. The 2w Force design was adapted in mid 90's for 3w operation using starter grade solenoids.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Your system already has a starter type solenoid for the UP circuit, why not just add one more for the DOWN circuit and be done with it?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I think you should keep what you have and just repair it properly. How many yrs did the orginial system work ????