Impeller question

BDL123

Cadet
Manuals state to change impeller every 3 yrs or 300 hours. Which variable weighs more heavily? 3 yrs or 300 hours?

Reason for my question is I have a 2008 4.3L merc with Alpha 1 that only has 28 hours on it. Bought in September and it ran great during initial test run and the next weekend when I put 2+ hours on it. Now that I have set it up for the winter i'm beginning to think I need to replace but thought I would ask the experts first.

Thanks in advance.

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Impeller question

I would change it, it starts to set, in the direction of ratation. Also the rubber starts to harden, and will crack.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Manuals state to....

So you caught in the manual there's some annual maintenance items to take of, one of which includes pulling the drive and inspecting various components that can only be inspected with the drive off? Take care of the impeller/water pump at the same time.

Mark

Hi. The answer to your question for a low-hours boat is that the time is more important than the hours. If you don't know how long it has been there, then install a new one. It's cheap insurance against an overheating problem!

BDL123

Cadet

Hi. The answer to your question for a low-hours boat is that the time is more important than the hours. If you don't know how long it has been there, then install a new one. It's cheap insurance against an overheating problem!

Thank you...That's what I was looking for.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you...That's what I was looking for.

If your remark is regarding the "time is more important than hours", while you're welcome to have that view, kind of depends on the use.

Here in SoCal, some guys do hard core fishing year round and easily put a couple hundred hours on their gas engines in a couple of months....this then means it is hours that's more important and not time.

Mark

If your remark is regarding the "time is more important than hours", while you're welcome to have that view, kind of depends on the use.

Here in SoCal, some guys do hard core fishing year round and easily put a couple hundred hours on their gas engines in a couple of months....this then means it is hours that's more important and not time.

Mark

Lol but you'll note that I did qualify my answer by saying it applied to a "low hours boat".

BDL123

Cadet

Thanks gents for the input. To be safe I plan on replacing the impeller. Now I have a very serious question (note tongue in cheek) and this may be just inexperience asking but what is the difference between impeller kits 18-3214 and 18-3214D - aside from price that is.

Both marketed under Sierra and the parts list are identical. Link to page below.

http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser-Im...8421810--session_id.060465405--view_id.270101

Has to be a catalogue listing error. Doesn't look like anyone is buying the more expensive version ( no reviews ). Be a rebel - pay more - it has to be better if it costs more, doesn't it? :D

BDL123

Cadet

The odd thing is you can google both PN's and get the same results...the D version is always slightly higher yet never an explanation as to why.

BDL123

Cadet

Update....should anyone care. The 'D' signifies Display packaging. Same product different packaging...you pay more for a clamshell. geez

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Update....should anyone care. The 'D' signifies Display packaging. Same product different packaging...you pay more for a clamshell. geez

Yes, you do pay more, fancy packaging instead of a box or paper envelope. We had both in the store I worked at last. Some would only buy the D type because they thought it was better. Even after we explained the difference.
We tried to keep one display package on the rack, and sell them one out of a box, but it didn't always work. :facepalm: