2003 4.3 mercruiser 1 shot to start otherwise floods

jkupec

Recruit
I have a 2003 4.3 mercruiser with throttle body. I have encountered a problem where if the motor has to be started on the first attempt at turning over by quickly placing in neutral and increasing the throttle. If I fail to start it this way the engine will not start and floods out. Once started I have no further problems starting it for the rest of the day we're on the lake. Turn the key and it starts right up. The motor runs fine once it's started in this fashion. Any ideas or recommdations would greatly be appreciated.

jkupec

Recruit
Re: 2003 4.3 mercruiser 1 shot to start otherwise floods

That's the motor has to be started on the first attempt, not if.

larivies

Cadet

do you have mechanical or electrical fuel pump?

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 2003 4.3 mercruiser with throttle body. I have encountered a problem where if the motor has to be started on the first attempt at turning over by quickly placing in neutral and increasing the throttle. If I fail to start it this way the engine will not start and floods out. Once started I have no further problems starting it for the rest of the day we're on the lake. Turn the key and it starts right up. The motor runs fine once it's started in this fashion. Any ideas or recommdations would greatly be appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Give it a basic Tune Up,...

An Efi motor shouldn't need any throttle to start, hot or cold...