Sportcraft tri-hull rebuild

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Started working on replacing the deck and transom I am going to add some other stuff will be needing some help to make sure I do it right.I bought her 4 years ago did some work to get her on the water but now it is time for the rebuild,deck is rotten foam is wet transom is shot been reading a lot so now the fun can begin,Took seats out and carpet to see how bad it was next will be the motor and cap to come off

Attachments

• Picture 147.jpg
    Picture 147.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 144.jpg
    Picture 144.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 150.jpg
    Picture 150.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Sportcraft tri-hull rebuild

Welcome to the iboats dry dock

While you've got the deck out, make sure you thoroughly check the stringers. It may be very difficult to remove & replace the transom w/out removing the cap.

Keep posting the pix & the iboats crew will help you get it back on the water soon...

Best of luck with your project!

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks JB,removal of the cap is in the plan just wanted to see how bad it was, it was very wet but the stringers look solid so far hopefully I will get some help with the motor this week get it off and get the cap off

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well was working on the removal of the deck today and ran into a snag using a little oscillating tool I put a 3 inch slice in the bottom hope it is not a problem, second thing where the stringers are in the back shouldn't there be a hole or holes so that water can flow out to the drain plug,I am not computer savvy so if pics don't upload I will have to wait for someone to help mePicture 153.jpg well on uploaded but it say the others that "file to big"

Picture155.jpg

Tool that did the damage (actually the operator)

Picture154.jpg

This is where I think I need to drill some holes

Picture152.jpg

KennethfromGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best way to do pic.'s is to upload them to photobucket then just copy the img link and paste it into your post. Oops or WoG will be along shortly to tell you how to fix the gash in the hull, and yes the stringers should have had some form of drain hole but often as not their either blocked or non existened. Good luck with your restore

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Kenneth that was a big help

partspro

Recruit

I have a 1973 sportcraft that I have to take the floor up on cause the floor is spongy. I am interested how hard it is to get the top off.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

From the looks of your pics it appears that you will need to remove the stringers and transom. The gash is an easy fix. that will come After you get the boat gutted.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a '72 sportcraft trihull I am currently restoring. The top cap came off very easily. It was held on by screws under the bumper strip. I too had water trapped in the boat. There were holes for the water to go into the bilge but they were glassed over. The original fiberglass work on the stringers was awful. I managed to get all the stringers out in tact although they were very soggy.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for all the advice, partspro I will be able to tell you about my experience with the top by the weekend,the team( a bunch of guys all over 50 years of age that know a little about a lot) and I are going to take off the engine in the next couple of days, so 1 of the guys asked(1)if we could lay down the engine or do we need to build a stand ? (2) I would like to know what tool is needed to get the fiber glassed deck out so I don't cut anymore holes in the bottom of the boat so far the 2 stringers that I have exposed look solid but time will tell. Thanks in advance

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if you can lay the motor down. I would (did) build a stand for the motor. Somewhere in the forum there are pics of pretty simple 2 x 4 stands that are simple enough to build.
For the deck, use a skill saw set at 1/2 or 3/4 inch, depending on the thickness of your deck. Cut a few inches away from the border where it joins the hull. After you get most of it out, you can use a 4" grinder to "cut" the rest of it out.
And protect yourself. That fiberglass is nasty stuff.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the info,dob that is a good idea I will try it this week after I build a stand (thanks jb)

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is our version of a motor stand with wheels
Picture162.jpg

The wood base is a pallet and I bought 4 2x4s and of course the forktruck
Picture161.jpg

and tomorrow the motor comes off and with any luck so will the cap

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a good idea. I've got mine laying on a pallet, on top of a couple of tires, but with a stand like this, I can put other parts on the bottom of the pallet. Lord knows I need the room in my garage!

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

IMG_20121110_102037.jpg

Today was a good day first the motor came off
Picture164.jpg

then we got the cap off with no trouble
Picture165.jpg

with help from that fork truck
then went to work on transom,piece at a time
Picture168-1.jpg

tomorrow some more ripping out and then I will have some questions

Last edited:

denlynn36

Seaman

Thats exactly what my boat looked like, everything within a one mile radius was rotted to mush. But the folks here at iboats are amazing with the help they offer!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thats exactly what my boat looked like, everything within a one mile radius was rotted to mush. But the folks here at iboats are amazing with the help they offer!
Yep. Here's my 1st helpful tip for November: Have access to a fork lift!
laugh1.gif

Looks like it can be very handy to have around during multiple stages of a boat resto.........
smile.gif

Making nice progress this weekend. Keep it up.

denlynn36

Seaman

lol, my wife raised her eyebrows at me today when I said I was going to need to go get a few more 36 grit flapper discs. Now im going to tell her Im looking on CL for fork lifts! Man that would be nice :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

lol, my wife raised her eyebrows at me today
This will be a common occurrence :D

psst: We like to keep the Admiral happy, if not ain't nobody going to be happy ;)

The Fun Governor is gaining some traction, and formerly mine was The Warden :facepalm: