2003 Merc 125 hp been setting years-what can I expect?

Seaman
Hello, I bought a 2003 Ranger 175 VS today at an auction. To look at it, I doubt it has been used too much ever! The trailer tires still have the nips on them, and the boat tags expired in March '06. Still had 03 dated batteries in it. This is my first "modern" Merc, and I'm more of an Evinrude-Johnson kind a guy. I believe the gas tank is empty, and I have not tried to crank it over yet (no keys yet). Is there any quirks with these engines? Are they good runners? Any mechanicle problems that I can expect? Anything I should do before I try to start it? I have no info to know if it was winterized proper the las time it had been used. I plan on calling the selling dealer on Monday to see if they have any records of it. Any info is much appreciated!!
Thanks
Jeff

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 Merc 125 hp been setting years-what can I expect?

If it was just park and not used anymore you will need to service the impeller, fuel pump diaphragm, carbs, change oil in oil tank, primer bulb (OEM only) and have battery/s charged and load tested. Do not attemp to use it till the above is addressed as a stopped up carb will ruin the engine and your day!!!

Seaman

Ok, will do! Thanks for the tips. I do have to ask, on the primer bulb, why OEM? I will be calling the original dealer to find out if they have records of when the last time it was winterized....hopefully he took it back to them for the repairs.
Thanks again!
Jeff

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Ive pulled older boats than that out of back yards , put gas in them and fired them up. Its a Mercury so the impeller MIGHT need replacing but its cheap insurance so go ahead and do it. The battery should changed. It 9 years old and wasnt regularly used . The primer bulb on my boat is 31 years old and still does the priming thing so if yours works done worry about it. Pull the plugs, spray some WD40 into the cylinders , let it set a few hours and turn the motor over by hand . Put a gallon of fresh gas in it and let that sit over night then pump it out. dispose of it. Change the oil in the tanks ( the reserve tank too ) . Then put a few gallons of gas in it and pump the bulb until the carbs fill up. put the plugs back in and fire it up.

How much did you get the boat for?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I do have to ask, on the primer bulb, why OEM?
Because 90% of the aftermarket bulbs have only one check valve and never really get a hard prime and only last a couple of years...

Seaman

Well, with the auction fees, it came to 11500. I believe I made a good purchase, based on the over all condition. Whatcha think? Did I do ok? Besides some scuffs from the cover, (Ranger cover) I can't tell it from new.

M

Maxz695

you will know when it get started but from the condition you described and the basic maintenance, Impellor plugs etc, with good compression I,d say alot of money put up in hopes for a gem. I hope you got the gold on this one