Tiller to remote conversion

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice
Hey folks, first post for me...
I received a G3 165 from my dad and it had a Yami 40 2-stroke with Yami control box etc from factory... He ended up selling the motor and giving me the hull, I have a Tohatsu with tiller and was wondering if any of the Yami controls would convert to work with the tahotsu... What all I would need to get it linked up if nothing would cross over...

Thnx Josh M.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tiller to remote conversion

Josh,

It's possible (but may or may not be economical) to convert most Tohatsu motors from tiller to remote. Get us your exact model and serial, and we can help you.

Modern Yamaha controls use standard Morse-type cables, so the throttle/shift could be made to work, as long as you confirm whether the control is a "push to open" or "pull to open" for the throttle. If setup wrong, you could end up with reverse being the "forward" on the control, and/or idle being "WOT" on the control. If you have electric start and/or tilt/trim, the electrical connectors would not be setup properly, but, with adequate skill, schematics for both the control box and the motor, and the Factory service manuals, you could probably get the electrical functions to operate, albeit with a "frankenstein" wiring harness. Of course, you could just bite the bullet and get a Tohatsu control box.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2006 mb40 with tiller, el start and ptt. The boat is an 04 with 04 controls I will probably buy the control box after looking at and seeing that it was not a close match. Thank you for reply. I am able to do the install So I just need to find the right part number for what I need. I'm going to need the control box and wiring harness for a remote hook up for an MB 40 tahotsu.

pvanv

Admiral

Is your motor an MD40B (TLDI) (fuel injected) motor? Will you want remote (wheel or stick) steering? No matter what, you will need 3GFQ845000, RC BOX, RC5F (MD40B/50B, MD70B/90B/115) TLDI, AMB, $550.25 msrp, and the appropriate control cables and clevis ends, plus associated mounting hardware. If swapping to remote steering, you will need the drag link and associated parts as well.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it is tldi, I want to go to steering wheel. The boat already has the teleflex cable and the yami gear shifter and throttle rigging there from the 40 that was took off. I was wondering if the gear and throttle linkage would cross over if I had the rigging brackets for those cables and swapped the cable ends to tahotsu... If not I can carry to a tech here local... I was just trying to get away from being took advantage of by a local.

pvanv

Admiral

All you will need to connect the standard Morse-type cables for throttle and shift will be to install the clevis fittings, 3B7837151M CABLE JOINT $4.45 each, and the nylon spacers for each, 3AA837190M WASHER $2.15 each, and the retaining pins, 9516030800M R-PIN $0.86, which normally come 10 to a pack. Of course, you either need to get the proper control box (as noted above), or at least confirm that your old box operates in the correct direction. You will be removing some existing shifter and throttle parts.

Steering will require the hook plate and drag link as usual. I would also recommend you get a TLDI tachometer (either white or black), as it will 1- work correctly with the TLDI, and 2- display the diagnostic LED's at the dash.

I would suggest that you at least consult with a local Tohatsu/Nissan dealer for rigging assistance, since it's not completely a "plug-n-play" conversion.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks for all the help... I've seen you help a lot of folks on hear and I'm sure it's appreciated. I know it is by me.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Is there a part number for the wiring harness too? Or does it come with the control box that you gave me the number for? And does the tach have a part number? Can I order all this from you or your people?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's about $900 for the parts and about five shop hours labor for the conversion. You need to go directly to your local dealer at this point.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

At this point I have a nearly fully functioning motor.. The tiller arm had the warning buzzer and lights, ignition, the tilt and trim... I have a universal box that has the correct throw for throttle and gear linkage. I have extended all the wiring harness /ptt/ignition/ warning buzzer from the tiller handle to the console and the boat is cranking and running. I have ordered a Tahotsu smartgauge as well... I now only need the correct brackets to attach the morse cables to the chassis and the correct linkage and the clevis pins... Does anyone know the part number for the conversion kit for a 2006 TLDI Tohatsu 40hp from tiller to remote?

pvanv

Admiral

There isn't any factory "kit"; you need to order the individual bits.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Yesr.. I found out about that. The tech finally came to realize they don't sell a "conversion kit".... So we ordered all the needed pieces yesterday and the total was $33. So thankfully I'll have a few hours of labor and under $300 for parts to get this boat going. Paul thank you for all the straight advice and suggestions. I've found everything you've said to be correct. I'll post some pics to verify everything is going together well and clean. After all, this particular project is not rocket science.