Ignition coil replacment

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there a replacment for a bosh 0221119039 i can get from an auto parts store? Its a 12 volt coil fort aq151b

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition coil replacment

NAPA carries the Sierra brand of marine parts, the number is 18-5436

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks I installed the new coil now when I try to start the boar the starter turns very slowly. I had the sarter bench tested and it passes 4 times. I did just change the timing belt could it be spinning slowly because my timing is off?

Don S

Timing could be one of the problems, but that is only 1 of a hundred things that could cause your problem.

Low battery, loose (wing nuts by hand are not tight), corroded battery cables (check both ends of both cables)

Water in the cylinders. Pull the plugs out and see if it cranks faster.

Might try pulling the upper gear box off the drive to make sure it's not the drive. Could also be the bearings in the flywheel housing if there was water in the ujoint bellows. If they are really rusty, it can slow the engine down.

Just curious, why did you replace the coil if you can't even crank the engine over at full speed?

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Because the positive terminal was broken off

Don S

Pretty good reason.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Timing could be one of the problems, but that is only 1 of a hundred things that could cause your problem.

Low battery, loose (wing nuts by hand are not tight), corroded battery cables (check both ends of both cables)
(The battery only reads 11 volts, I tried jumping it but it still spun slowly. Even with the battery charger it will only get to 11 volts it needs to be replaced.I tried using another deep cycle battery from my trailer that was fully charged but it still spun slowly)

Water in the cylinders. Pull the plugs out and see if it cranks faster.
( I will try that)

Might try pulling the upper gear box off the drive to make sure it's not the drive. Could also be the bearings in the flywheel housing if there was water in the ujoint bellows. If they are really rusty, it can slow the engine down.
(I am not sure how to pull the upper gear box but I will look into that. When I took the starter out the flywheel did not look rusty from what I could see)

Just curious, why did you replace the coil if you can't even crank the engine over at full speed?
(The Positive terminal was broken. The negative terminal fell right off when I went to change it too since it was so corroded.)

Don S

Well, if the terminals of the coil are corroded and falling apart, I can't imagine battery cables or anything else is in much better shape.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are right, but I took about an hour cleaning all the cables and terminals. They are all shiny and look almost new now.

Don S

What shape are the cable ends in where they are crimped onto the cable.?

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They appear to be in good shape. I think it might be a timing issue mixed with an electrical issue, I set the crank at 0 and the cam at its mark when I did the timing belt. From what I read that is correct for the motor but I am not 100 percent sure.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also I wanted to note that the relay was in sad shape, I cleaned it but I am not sure it is functioning correctly. Would you happen to know the part number for that relay? If it is cheap I don't mind buying one as the old one was pretty corroded.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I should probably note that I used a jumper cable directly to the starter to engauge it. When i use the ignition key it just clicks

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a starter cable that looked just fine, but had apparently developed a bad connection between the terminal and the wire. I wire brushed everything until the cows came home and no dice. Replaced it and away I went.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I actually have two new battery cables I was going to use for an old truck I have since sold. I am going to see if they are long enough and give those a try.