Different winterizing question

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have been lurking here for a few years, been listening to Don S insist that air don't freeze, so I decide to take the plung this year and not bother with the red pop anti-freeze for the first time. By the way, for those that are new, Don and this forum have saved me thousands of dollars over the years.

In the past I always pulled the t-state and 4 hoses that attached to the housing off and add anti-freeze down the hole and in the hoses. I was looking at the manual the other day and found the attached diagram (5A). I forgot to remove the engine water circulation pump hose. I have never done this in the past but not had any issues, must have been enough antifreeze down in there.

I don't mind if the hose needs replacing in the spring, I am worried about the water pump and engine. Boat is in a non heated pole barn in Metro Detroit. What do you think, am I in for trouble if I don't take care of this?
Capture1.jpg

1999 5.7 liter (250HP)
Bravo Three

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Different winterizing question

Pull it and drain out the water,why risk it?

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgot to mention that it would be difficult for me to get access to it now.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't say one way or the other. If I was good at that, I would be working in Vegas making odds, not being a marine tech.

At this point, easy or not, it's what ever makes you sleep well at night.

Good luck with your decision.

tpenfield

Staff member

So I have been lurking here for a few years, been listening to Don S insist that air don't freeze,

I thought "air don't freeze" was Bond-o's line? May both of them. . .:)

I'd pull the recirculating hose, unless you got another water pump handy.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That's why workin' on boat motors is expensive,....

If ya wanta play "Boat Mechanic",...
Ya gotta do the moves, as well as walkin' the walk...
Nobody has ever said it's Easy...

That hose, 'n the circulating water pump usually hide 'bout a quart of water....
Not drainin' it might be Ok, or not...
The tin backin' plate can expand abit, but it's 'ell on the front seal...

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the past I always pulled the t-state and 4 hoses that attached to the housing off and add anti-freeze down the hole and in the hoses. I was looking at the manual the other day and found the attached diagram (5A). I forgot to remove the engine water circulation pump hose. I have never done this in the past but not had any issues, must have been enough antifreeze down in there.

CO...I'm with ya on the MI weather. If using AF has worked for u in the past....why change it? I use AF (auto) just for the peace of mind. I too read about the "air doesn't freeze" fact, which is very true - neither does AF! Until I physically see a mock up transparent engine block-risers/manifold set-up after the drains are pulled with NO water remaining...I use AF. I make sure my bilge is clean before I pull my drainplugs in the spring so I can re-use the AF next year and at same time not screw up the environment. Everyone has their different ways but we all have the same end result of NO cracked block come spring.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If in doubt then do it.
Just my humble opinion though.