water in lower unit

I checked my lower unit oil today and found it to be a tan/creamy color. i know this is definitely bad but could it just be as simple as changing the o-rings on the fill/drain plug? or is this something bigger?
any ideas on some things i could do to try and find my leak?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water in lower unit

I checked my lower unit oil today and found it to be a tan/creamy color. i know this is definitely bad but could it just be as simple as changing the o-rings on the fill/drain plug? or is this something bigger?
any ideas on some things i could do to try and find my leak?

If that's what's leaking, then yes that would fix the problem. But until you drain it and do a pressure check, you have no idea what or where it's leaking.

What outdrive do you have?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The lower unit grease I drained out of my new Yamaha 150 4 stroke was also creamy, but there were no bubbles or water. You always want to drain it into a clean bucket/oil pan so you can inspect the fluids carefully. And mine was cream colored.

Everyone needs to have their lower units pressure and vacuum tested every 3 years or so. Maybe every 2 years if it's a salt water use. Rebuilding a lower unit is prohibitively expensive in many cases. Aftermarket lower units are much cheaper @ $845.

I ignored my lower unit seals, and ended up having to buy a new motor. My mistake. But my biggest mistake was taking the wife to the boat show in January and letting her sit in a new Bennington tritoon. She was telling someone it's like having a new BMW--but most new BMW's actually cost less.

hahaha, i have the cobra outdrive. and will do on that pressure test, where could i get new o-rings and the part # for them?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

This site sells parts. Profile, location?
You might be close to someone who can help/
If they don't have what you need try. boats . net
The Cobra drive is a hard one to diagnose.
LOTS of places to leak.
If you drain the oil, make sure it's filled correctly.
If it's not filled from the side then it won't have enough oil and you'll destroy the upper.