Aluminum boat make

Humperdink

Cadet
Another guess my manufacturer thread. I estimate this boat was built in the 50s-60s. Dad says 50s based on its design and construction. any guesses as to who made it? The ash seats arent original obviously, and neither is the front deck area. its 13'2" long and 51.5" beam. 2012-03-24_19-04-02_542.jpg2012-03-24_18-43-23_327.jpg

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Aluminum boat make

It's hard to say what brand it is. Our lake still had dozens and dozens of these type boats, and most were Alumacrafts of 1956, 57 58. They're somewhat generic. My uncle had one with a brown Johnson 18 hp motor. My other uncle had one with a Johnson 7.5 hp.

Our neighbor used to teach little kids to ski with one and a 15 hp Evinrude.

southkogs

Staff member

Humperdink, Humperdink! I'm not listening Valerie! ;)

No clue ... it could have actually been built up to the early 70's. Our 14' is from the early 60's and looks more "vintage" in some respects than that one. Bunches of them were badged by Sears, Montgomery Ward and who knows who else...

Good lookin' boat though. The additional lights and rebuilt seats look very nice.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Humperdink, Humperdink! I'm not listening Valerie! ;)

No clue ... it could have actually been built up to the early 70's. Our 14' is from the early 60's and looks more "vintage" in some respects than that one. Bunches of them were badged by Sears, Montgomery Ward and who knows who else...

Good lookin' boat though. The additional lights and rebuilt seats look very nice.

"Bye bye boys! Have fun stormin' the castle!"

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I would bet that boat is not that old.

(It looks like Someone rebuilt the seats and removed the floatation foam)

Humperdink

Cadet

THanks for the compliments! ive been boating my whole life, but this is the first one that is mine. ive got a 66 6hp evinrude, and a 69 9.5 hp evinrude for it. I havent tried the 9.5 yet though as i just got it for 80$ and its being resurrected. The new armature plate and associated guts it needs are in the mail, pretty excited. as of now i top out at 13.4 mph on gps by myself, with a cooler and probably 30 lbs of fishing gear, usually about 3 gallons of gas. Only about 12 mph if i dont use the tiller extension and sit on the rear seat. actually is pretty nice speed for that rig and i may sell the 9.5, ill never trust it like the 6 horse. with two people it needs the 9.5 tho

My dad said based upon the type of rivets and the riveting technique used he figured in the 50s. He is a boat builder but he is on the fine woodwork end so who knows how well he knows his rivets. hes 65 so i suppose he could know. The guy who gave it to me said he "fished it as a youngin'" and hes over 60 (old men do get a little questionable as they are reminiscing) . thats what led me to guess its age. On the other hand, if i showed you a picture from before it was re-done youd probably think it was even older.....really beat up. it has no id tag.

thanks for the replies though, well probably never know who built her.

Humperdink

Cadet

forgot to mention, my dad and i rebuilt the seats, and the transom, and there was no flotation foam when i got it. the seats are ash. The transom is a laminate of fiberglass, aluminum, and aluminum diamond plate, with ash reinforcement, its complete overkill. the rod rack is ash too. the front is birch plywood, along with the fold up seat, which you cant see.

southkogs

Staff member

forgot to mention, my dad and i rebuilt the seats, and the transom, and there was no flotation foam when i got it. the seats are ash. The transom is a laminate of fiberglass, aluminum, and aluminum diamond plate, with ash reinforcement, its complete overkill. the rod rack is ash too. the front is birch plywood, along with the fold up seat, which you cant see.
So much guess work on the old tinnys. It's just hard to figure them out. Y'all did a fantastic job on the woodwork. Those "rowboat" types of setups are my favorite for fishing lakes and rivers, and yours looks great.