charging coil ? 2005 Johnson 4 stroke 9.9hp J10R4SOA

gsteph

Recruit
hi!

I have a 2005 J10R4SOA Johnson (9.9hp, 4 strokes), tiller, rope start, bought from a friend of mine.
recently I had an issue with water in fuel so I checked fuel system and ignition (spark plugs).

I noticed very clear one yellow wire terminated with a connector inside an insulator, connected nowhere. I am not very sure but I remember something - that was an other wire, most probably black (not red because it came into attention) left in the air (isolated).
unfortunately I keep the boat and the engine far from home and I can not check sooner than 2 weeks.

my questions for you guys are:
is it possible to have the charging coil installed, without the rectifier?
is it installed by default but not wired?

I checked the service manual (I bought it from internet) but I can not identify in memory the rectifier. my friend does not know anything about charging system... he is far from a tech person...

thanks!

gsteph

Recruit
Re: charging coil ? 2005 Johnson 4 stroke 9.9hp J10R4SOA

it seems that I can not edit previous post... anyway:

service manual shows in the diagram that rectifier and other components (wires, connectors, fuse) are optional, but not the coil.

gsteph

Recruit

does anyone know about this?

the charging coil is installed by default on 9.9hp 4 strokes Johnson?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

look at boats net and search your motor model and year.
if there is lace to instal charging coil on ignition plate so instal this coil.if you want to get flat voltage you need rectifer on coil output.
this charging system is the same for 2 and 4 stroke motors