Removable Deck Questions 16' Sea Nymph

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am doing a restoration on 1979 and intend to keep bare bones until resolve how boat works out. I am thinking of making the deck removable so can easily rework when settled on layout. I will start a restoration thread with pics soon but am curious if anyone has thoughts or experience on how they may have designed a removable deck.

I have searched and dont see any tags or results. I know there are a variety of recessed latches which is where will proably go, but beauty of this forum is soliciting thoughts, help and designs.

Thanks in advance.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Removable Deck Questions 16' Sea Nymph

Wlcome to iboats.

Define removable deck, how mcuh of the deck do you want to remove?

I have essentially the same boat, 81 Seas Nymph 16' Fish N Machine and I redid mine from the keel up 2-3 years ago and when I pulled the deck out it got floppy like a gum wrapper, I mean it was bad so I don't think you could use the boat without a deck in or at least some bracing.

Once I got the main deck back in it was better but still a little floppy then when the casting decks went back in it is tight as can be.

I was kinda stuck with the deck layout but I did move the livewell 90 degrees to ease access and I really like all the storage you get under the casting decks.

Mine doesn't have seats per se, the oniy one that is permenently mounted is the drivers seat and then I have a big ol captains chair from work that you can put wherever you want.

I work for a boat company and have been there since it started so there were alot of vendor samples that I saved from the trash so I have ALOT of stuff on mine that I normally couldn't have affaorded- a pump in/out/recirculate livewell-500-1100 bilge pumps-160 watt Rockford steareo-gas shocks on all the storage doors-Motorguide W55 Wireless trolling motor and my latest aquisition- a Magma grill.

Mine has been a 8-9 year project, I fish every other week and work on the boat on the off weeks although the main rebuild was finished over a 14 day christmas break, I got pics and a thread of when I painted it but not the rebuild unfortunately.

I will attempt to get some pics up....

Attachments

• CopyofP1010028.jpg
    CopyofP1010028.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
  • CopyofP1010029.jpg
    CopyofP1010029.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sincere thank you to 5150 abf.

Your insight and experience made me realize overthinking my goals especially with ridigity and structure probably being comprimised. Deep sixing the thought.

Very nice boat and resto job. Is that the fixings for some Irish coffee I see on your deck? Maybe you take Coach Kelly out periodically as he sure has the domers in gear. Irish coffee for the Irish eh.

With your location and job you are defenitely in the heartland of aluminum fabrication. We do some carbon, alum and ss fabrication for diesel tanks.

Will get my restoration thread going and post some pics along the way.

Does this pic bring some memories back ?

IMG-20121021-00049[1].jpg

Hope that worked alright.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I strongly recommend fastening down your decking through the finish (carpet, vinyl, paint on product) with rivets or stainless steel self tapping screws. This way your decking will be secure, but you'll be able to remove it at any time without messing up your finish.

I riveted my decking down through the vinyl and can remove it by simply drilling out the rivets.
DSC02248.jpg

This comes in very handy if you ever need to make below deck repairs or modifications. Drill out the rivets, remove decking and do whatever, then replace the decking and rerivet.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yes as a matter of fact I have seen that before, quality time spent with a big butcher knife cutting out foam, good times.

I didn't replace mine, the boat is trailered and I am never more than 100 yards from shore and I have the 2 bilge pumps with the big one hooked to an alarm so if it fires you get a peircing alarm to let you know there is a problem

I second jigngrub, my main floor is screwed down then carpeted but both casting decks were carpeted then screwed through it, there are 2 side pods one of which all my wireing runs down and a small cap deck at the bow with alot of wiring and a battery so it is nice to be able to take them off without having to tear up carpet.

I will pop down to restoration now and then and check on your build, I rarely go down there because most of it is glass.

In a round about way I do take coach Kelly out now and then, I work at Bennington as a supervisor in the weld shop and he bought one of our boats this year.

Still having palpatations from the game last night, the luck of the IRISH was in full force for sure, seems like all top 4 teams had close games and Klien got hurt so with Manti at #2 on the Heisman list maybe we will get that.....

I will admit to a nice IRISH coffee now and then, helps knock the chill of a cold morning.