Starter bad or what???

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I went to start my 96 Mercruiser 4.3LX for the first time in about 30 days to start the winterizing procedure. I pumped my throttle about 5 times to get her to start. She started... idled for about 10 seconds and died (typical). I went to re-start it and noticed a hellacious sound like metal grinding immediately. I stopped, walked away for about 10 minutes (shaking my head thinking this is NOT the way to end a season), then I went to try and start again. I got the same hellacious grinding sound for about 3 seconds then I turned it off. The battery is reading 12.4 volts from my meter. Any ideas? It is turning cold quick and I would really rather winterize it the hard cold oil way and drain the block without the added expense of the $250 plus starter if thats a tattle tale sign the starter is done and just replace it next year.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starter bad or what???

Your description sure sounds like a starter failing to engage the flywheel properly. The gear on the starter is probably not meshing correctly due either to wear or failure to move fully into position.

If you have no other symptoms, you'll probably have to pull the starter to see and verify.

86 century

Ensign

He is dead on

Unfortunately it sounds like your starter is to. Do yourself a favour and don't try to crank it anymore as you could mess the flywheel up.

The good news is it sounds like you only need the starter drive gear,solenoid and possibly a bendix.
Should be much cheaper than a complete starter.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you go new, yes you are close on price. Look around you might have a shop in the area that can rebuild it. Thats what I did and it was like 60 to fix mine. I know a complete rebuild, New windings and everything was still way cheaper then buying new.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Loose, corroded, damaged battery cable can cause that too.

Don't forget, a battery has two cables, positive and negative, and both cables have two ends.

12.4 voltage is a little low(should be 12.6 or higher). Battery is around 80% of its capacity.
Try recharging the battery, and check all cables.

Bondo

Staff member

So I went to start my 96 Mercruiser 4.3LX for the first time in about 30 days to start the winterizing procedure. I pumped my throttle about 5 times to get her to start. She started... idled for about 10 seconds and died (typical). I went to re-start it and noticed a hellacious sound like metal grinding immediately. I stopped, walked away for about 10 minutes (shaking my head thinking this is NOT the way to end a season), then I went to try and start again. I got the same hellacious grinding sound for about 3 seconds then I turned it off. The battery is reading 12.4 volts from my meter. Any ideas? It is turning cold quick and I would really rather winterize it the hard cold oil way and drain the block without the added expense of the $250 plus starter if thats a tattle tale sign the starter is done and just replace it next year.

Ayuh,.... My guess is the starter bolts are loose, or the nose-cone is busted, from loose starter bolts.....