Type: Straight Inboard
Length: 21'-10"
Beam 7'-11"

Hull Number: CEBFR051M80K
Engine: Mercruiser MIE330
Serial Number: 5652430
HP: 330
CID: 454

Name: Foobiehazzie....Send a friend request to Foobiehazzie @ http://www.facebook.com/foobie.hazzie

Restore pictures: Facebook

You'll need a facebook account to see those.

I purchased this boat in 2010 and have battled a bad vibration ever since. The prop shaft was bent so I replaced it and the vibration persisted but wasn't quite as bad. I found that the incorrect rudder had been installed at some point so I corrected that. This summer I decided to check the alignment of the engine and shaft coupling and wham...there it was. Engine was out of alignment. Realigned it and it ran butter smooth. After several more hours of operation the vibration was returning. hmmm...whats going on? Aligned it again and it's butter smooth...well after a 3rd realignment it was obvious the stringers must be allowing the engine to sink.

When I pulled the engine 5 of the 8 lag bolts just pulled out.....the other 3 were bent and were real buggers to get out. After pulling the carpet up the floor is in very good shape, no signs of wetness at all. The stringers themselves do not seem to be soft or spongy but the lag bolts tell the story. Although they are not completely mushy rotten they have deteriorated enough that it's time to replace them. The great thing about this boat is that the main stringers are totally exposed such that none of the floor needs to be cut in order to replace them.

I have read many of the stringer stories in here and although I know I am capable of doing the work I lack the space and tools to do it. So....I took it to a shop named Fiberglass Products and Boat Repair in St. Joe Indiana. Some of you may know the owner. His name is Tom Miller and he was a partner in Hydrodyne and it's predecessor Crosby boats when they were made here in the little town of Harlan IN. The factory is still here, but they make commercial furniture and cabinets there today. Hydrodyners.com Tom is 75 years old and has built boats his entire life. I think Foobiehazzie is in great hands.

I dropped the boat off last Saturday, October 27th and he said he would call me once he got a chance to get the numbers together. He commented on how solid the floor was and I believe he was shocked at the condition of the boat for it's age. When I first called him I could tell he was a little apprehensive about working on a 32 year old boat.....but he was excited to see the condition once he got inside it.

I intend to clean up the engine, replace all the hoses and belts. I can still buy an original interior for this boat through A&A Marine century upholstery So I guess I'll be posting pictures as I progress. You can view the public facebook page for Foobiehazzie where I've posted an album of the deconstruction. It has to be ready to go for next season...I plan on splashing it on or before memorial day!

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Century Coronado: Foobiehazie Restore

Those boats are just stupendous, you'll be in a liquid limousine.
You sound as if you will be a great owner for a classic boat. Enjoy it.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Those boats are just stupendous, you'll be in a liquid limousine.
You sound as if you will be a great owner for a classic boat. Enjoy it.

Thanks.....You're the second person who has used that term. I have conversed via facebook with someone who has a Coronado named Wet Limo.

1980Coronado

Links to the pictures in photobucket:

Stringer ReplacementRestore pictures by Foobiehazzie - Photobucket

http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/user/Foobiehazzie/library/Facebook/Pictures of Me?postlogin=true

http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/user/Foobiehazzie/library/Facebook/1980 21 Century Coronado

171921_155280317948658_1366080079_o.jpg

51968_155158477960842_943779734_o.jpg

53657_155159141294109_1883492245_o.jpg

615783_155279667948723_1089395090_o.jpg

615354_155280751281948_22226542_o.jpg

133259_155280411281982_1930603694_o.jpg

86 century

Ensign

Nice ride

I see you are in Indiana what lake you run on.

86 century

Ensign

Since you have that junky old bb Chevy out and laying around in your way I will be happy to trade you a really nice super classy 351w a bit lighter with 2/3 the hp. Lol

What transmission do you have there.

I have heard good things about lake george plus I have some family in southbend they have invited me up to go camping/boating a few times.

1980Coronado

Hey....now that's an offer I can refuse :p. For 1,100 hrs it's still a strong motor. Compression tested it before it came out and all 8 are in the 140-145psi range. Not bad for a 32 year old motor.

The transmission is a Borg Warner Model (10-18-002) 72C Velvet Drive 1:1 ratio

Lake George is a great little lake. It has special rules/laws for fast boating hours as well as traffic patterns. Fast boating hours are from 10:00 am - 6:30 pm. It's great for fishing because of the fast boating hours. You must also travel in a counterclockwise direction when traveling parallel to shore, which means no head-on traffic. It has been a very safe lake though the years. My in-laws have a very nice place on the water and they like me enough to let me keep my old boat on a lift in front of their place.

The shack at lake George...notice the Oak tree....Ice damage from that winter.

Summer075.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

86 century

Ensign

Yea I didn't think you would want to trade but I had to try.

Thanks for the info on the lake will most likely be up there at some point next summer.

Your sure about that big old gas sucking clunker of an eng. you could save 10's of dollars in just the first year with a small block.loll

They offered the 454 in the supra's of my vintage but they are few and far between.

1980Coronado

My friend has a Supra on George with the 454....early/mid 90's I think.

1980Coronado

Got some very good news this week from Tom at the repair shop. They have inspected everything and found that the floors and outside stringers are solid and that only the main stringers need to be replaced. I'm having some gel coat damage fixed, the main stringers replaced along with the wood pads for the battery box/ski tow pole and they will help me set the engine all for a not to exceed quote of $3000.00. I was very happy with that! Boat will be ready for an engine early in December!

We have decided not to spend the $2,000 to redo the interior at this time. Going to wait and see what the economy does over the next 12 months....maybe next fall! The interior isn't in terrible shape so we are going to hold onto the cash for now.

1980Coronado

Well, today was engine moving day. All of the old rotten stringers have been removed and new ones are fabricated and ready to be tabbed in. The shop wanted the engine so they could dry fit everything prior to tabbing the stringers in. Dad wanted in on the action so he rented the trailer and on a very foggy relatively warm December morning we loaded the engine onto the trailer and headed to St. Joe Indiana to deliver the engine. While we were there we got to take a look at Foobiehazzie. These guys are doing a fabulous job. They have patched all of the dings and bumps on the gel as well as repaired the damage on the bow from the previous owner beaching it.

Here are some pictures from our trip today.
1980CoronadoEnginemovingday002.jpg
[/IMG]
1980CoronadoEnginemovingday003.jpg
[/IMG]
1980CoronadoEnginemovingday005.jpg
[/IMG]
1980CoronadoEnginemovingday008.jpg
[/IMG]
1980CoronadoEnginemovingday014.jpg
[/IMG]

1980Coronado

1980CoronadoEnginemovingday018.jpg
[/IMG]
1980CoronadoEnginemovingday017.jpg
[/IMG]

Installing the strut support boards

1980CoronadoEnginemovingday013.jpg
[/IMG]

The Old rotten stringers

1980CoronadoEnginemovingday011.jpg
[/IMG]

Shows where the old stringers are cut. They were still solid ahead of the engine mounts. The small square piece is for the ski tow poll.

1980CoronadoEnginemovingday015.jpg
[/IMG]

1980Coronado

Heading up to the shop tomorrow morning to help set and align the motor on the new stringers....will post pics after we're done.

1980Coronado

The stringers are finished and the engine has been reinstalled. Can't say enough goo things about Tom Miller, and Rick Miller at Fiberglass Products and Boat Repair. They did an outstanding job.

1980CoronadoEngineInstallation006.jpg
[/IMG]
1980CoronadoEngineInstallation001.jpg
[/IMG]
1980CoronadoEngineInstallation008.jpg
[/IMG]
1980CoronadoEngineInstallation026.jpg
[/IMG]
1980CoronadoEngineInstallation030.jpg
[/IMG]

Friscoboater

Captain

I wish I could get mine done that fast.

1980Coronado

I wish I could get mine done that fast.

I knew I didn't have the space or time to do the fiberglass work myself so I cheated.....loved reading your Sea Ray restore thread. It's a beautiful boat.

Carpet arrived today and the admiral likes it...whew!:faint2: