Moisture in the stringers

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
I had a survey done on a boat a 1997 cruisers 3375 and the surveyor said he got a moderate return for moisture in the stringers. He said that it was nothing to worry about and all boat of this age will have moisture in the stringers and to buy a new boat if I want dry wood. He said the strength was in the fiberglass applied over the top and that I should not worry... There was no delamination to indicate any loss of structural integrity...

This is news to me... I have never heard moisture in the stringers as no big deal..... Any feedback?

Added, I have a survey that this same surveyor did on this boat two years earlier with no moisture reported. Odd... In addition this is a balsa cored hull, which adds to my concern... Love the boat, but I have an old friend and mentor who is a surveyor I think I will ask to do an evaluation...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Moisture in the stringers

I think you got a bad surveyor.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure how old the boat is, but it is very very common, but that doesn't mean is isn't a big problem. A little moisture won't hurt anything NOW, but we all know what moisture turns into....

Austin

tpenfield

Staff member

Usually, the bulkheads get the moisture first and then share it with the stringers.

Although it may not be a deal breaker, you will want to get the stringers (and probably the bulkheads) dried out.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Dose he have a money back guarantee,,, no ,, then I would pass.

tpenfield

Staff member

I had a survey done on a boat a 1997 cruisers 3375 and the surveyor said he got a moderate return for moisture in the stringers. He said that it was nothing to worry about and all boat of this age will have moisture in the stringers and to buy a new boat if I want dry wood. He said the strength was in the fiberglass applied over the top and that I should not worry... There was no delamination to indicate any loss of structural integrity...

This is news to me... I have never heard moisture in the stringers as no big deal..... Any feedback?

Added, I have a survey that this same surveyor did on this boat two years earlier with no moisture reported. Odd... In addition this is a balsa cored hull, which adds to my concern... Love the boat, but I have an old friend and mentor who is a surveyor I think I will ask to do an evaluation...

Any updates on this? I would question if there is also moisture in the bulkhead, as that is often where the stringers get their moisture. I am also curious about if the surveyor was referring to stringers in the engine compartment (which are fairly accessible) or the main stringer sections further forward?

FWIW - there is a guy by the name of Dave Carnell who has some written work about using ethylene glycol and/or borate solutions to address rot. Chemotherapy for Rot There are also some threads on boatdesign.net that discuss prevention and treatment.

Usually a surveyor will make note of high moisture and say to 'monitor' it. Of course I'm not 100% sure what 'monitor' should involve. :rolleyes:. I had that issue on the survey of my boat (33 foot Formula), moisture in the mid-section of the bulkhead, and have decided be proactive in 'monitoring' it. Similar age as the boat that you are considering.

Anyway, I think it is a judgement call on the extent of moisture and how wide spread it is within the structure, and if that equates to a show stopper for the purchase. Hopefully your surveyor friend can add some perspective.