1979 Johnson 115hp Overheating Alarm HELP!

TheinfamousP

Cadet
This is the situation, I have a 1979 Johnson 115hp. Bought it off a mechanic that sold it to me for a way over priced 1200. The engine usually doesnt turn till you spray starter fluid in a hole he cut out through the front of the outboard cover cap. It usually starts after 1 or 2 sprays. Usually when it turns on it runs well. Sometimes when its in nuetral it stalls and turns off. Might turn right back on if the gas lever is turned up cimentanously as turning the key. Other times needs to be sprayed. I've heard start fluid is bad for the engine but how else do I fix it:facepalm:?

Second issue: Ive taken the boat out about 15 times since I got it havent had much trouble except the above. Did an oil change last week on the lower unit. Luckly no water was mixed in glad about that. Drained and filled it from the bottom till it started leaking from the top. Took it out on the water with 2 buddies. Went out in the kelps. Engine was running well, till we got stuck in the kelp and had to chop our way out. As we were going an alarm went off and the engine turned off. Took off the cap couldnt keep my hand on the engine for more than 3 seconds, steam was coming out the exhaust. We let the engine cool down for an hour and attempted to start it up again. Engine turned on we went on fishing :facepalm: when we should of head home. Once again engine overheated couldnt turn it back on or when it was on and would kick into gear it would turn off. Had the coast guard tow us back, which one of their engines overheated and had to tow us back on one engine.

I purchased a compression tester for 25 buks waiting for it to come in the mail. Will do a test and post the results. Im thinking about getting a new water pump kit and thermostats. Probably taken it out on the water a total of 20 times. I order a 1979 115hp johnson manual waiting for it to come in the mail as well and 4 spark plugs, but they seem to look like new, not sure if they are till I pull them out tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Till the manual arrives can any one tell me where the thermostats would be located? This is my first outboard not the best I know but shes taken me and brought me back many times and Im focused on fixing her up myself. Cant really afford to pay some guy 300 plus parts to tempererarly fix it and have to have him come back in another month to do the same. I want to learn on how to do everything myself. Im a quick learner. I watch youtube videos on everything I can find on outboards. Kinda wished I started out my college carrier on marine mechanics, but that time has passed. I think I can learn from the iBoats Elders that are in these forums. Iv read a few of them and it seems people are willing to help here as long as the person who started the forum follows through white pictures and updates which I plan on doing on a daily basis. Couldnt sleep last night was up till 2 trying to figure out where the thermostat housing is on each side of the cylinders. Im not familiar with are the vocabulary and parts on engines yet so please bare with me:D

TheinfamousP

Cadet
Re: 1979 Johnson 115hp Overheating Alarm HELP!

Images of the outboard and sn

Attachments

• IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0

TheinfamousP

Cadet

images of 115hp 1979 johnson outboard

Attachments

• IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1800.jpg
    IMG_1800.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0

TheinfamousP

Cadet

pics of outboard

Attachments

• IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

The thermostat housing is at the bottom of the engine block on the rear. But I'd put money on the thermostats not being your problem. More than likely you've got crud in some of the water lines/passages restricting flow. Did you notice if you had a tell-tale stream before and after it started overheating?

As far as having to use starter fluid, yes that's bad. It washes lubrication off cylinder walls and bearings. A "mechanic" would never have done such a cobbled up mess. The starting procedure should be something like pump the primer bulb till it gets firm, turn the key to the run position and hold it in for a count of 8 to activate the primer solenoid, then start, giving an occasional shot of prime as needed to keep it running 'till it starts to warm up. It sounds like you need to check the function of your primer solenoid - you can pull one of the primer lines and see if fuel squirts out when you do the procedure outlined.

TheinfamousP

Cadet

I noticed water coming out the exhaust in a spray pattern. I didnt notice water coming out of the tell tale. When I connected the ear muffs at home to wash the engine out water was coming out of it but it was still warm after 3hrs of the engine being off but it was about 80 degress out too.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

According to the model # on the tag this mtr is a 1973. Also it doesn't have a primer on it as the carbs have choke plates. So when you go to start it either push the key in or activate the choke switch while it is turning over. What's the compression on it ?? Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your mtr as they have good parts diagrams.

TheinfamousP

Cadet

Thanks Boobie. I looked it up myself as well but I guess I was mistaken. I purchased a compression tester online should be here by saturday. I will post the results when it comes I presume by then. The mechanic is a :eek: Its hard finding good mechanics around here unless your willing to empty out the bank :( Any other tests I can run till then?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may also want to run an open air gap spark test on it with the tester set a 7/16 ".

TheinfamousP

Cadet

I did a compression test by taking each spark plug out individually and here are the results; Top left 85, bottom left 70, top right 90, bottom right 95. The spark plugs had a bit of burnt oil on them didnt seem to be too bad. I also tried lowering the lower unit to see how the water pump is doing I wasnt able to lower more than a quarter of an inch after taking out a total of 7 screws. Is there something I need to disconnect from the top as well? I did see pieces of what seemed to be rubber so Im thinking the propeller is gone in there? I know the high and the low of the test results need to be within 15 psi difference. Is this motor any good or do I need to find another one?:facepalm:

TheinfamousP

Cadet

Is this engine worth working on with the compression results above?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When new, that 115 probably had 125 lbs compression on each cyl. Running with those numbers, it won't make nearly as much hp. Agree, pull the head and visually inspect the cyl with the 70 lbs compr.

TheinfamousP

Cadet

ok now how do I go about taking the head off the cylinder? Any videos you can recommend?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You may find the exploded factory parts diagram helpful. It will show you which bolts hold the head to the block. epc.brp.com. The head bolts are only torqued to 18-20 ft. lbs, so they should come off with any 3/8" ratchet drive wrench set.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

As to removing the lower unit, the shift rod needs to be disconnected, usually under the carbs, before it will drop down. The service manual will describe this. Hope you can exchange the '79 manual for a '73, there will be differences.