Sears Model# 139.53310 garage door opener question?

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello to everyone,
I have a question about my Sears Garage door opener model# 139.53310. Anyway, I had to replace the gear and sprocket assembly because the bushing under the sprocket actually broke apart in pieces causing the main drive shaft to shift and put the motor in a bind. Anyway, this afternoon after work I replaced the sprocket and gear assembly and also replaced the hat bushing on the lower part of the shaft or right above the limit switch gear that is on the bottom of the main drive shaft. Anyway, I did run it several times and it worked fine but I jad to adjust the up limit switch becuase the troller was comming up too far and I thought I had overheated it and the thermo protection on the motor basically shut it down. So I let it cool for about 30 to 40 minutes and tried it again but all I get is a hum and the motor is NOT moving at all. I don't understand it and I have double checked everything. Thought I might have a binding issue but that is not it. Now, every once in a while it will go up, the trolley, just a little bit sometimes when I hit the button to operate the door opener then I hit it again and it goes back down and hit it again and nothing. Now, When I look at the limit switch for the down side it is made and the lever/arm is touching the switch and for the up side it is adjusted away from the down switch a good bit so it should travel and it did work well before the sprocket bushing broke apart. I need help oj this one I have rechecked/doublechecked everything even looked at the top chain sprocket and it looks fine nothing binding it and the white plastic gears look fine and there brand sprankin new. I DID NOT remove or replace the bushing on the electric motor side and left that alone and the black plastic rpm thingy is on and pushed in as far as it will go. Please let me know what else to do. Thank you, Bob:confused:

Re: Sears Model# 139.53310 garage door opener question?

If I'm understanding this correctly - it worked fine until it overheated? Did it actually overheat or did you just think it overheated??
If it did overheat, and you're positive that nothing is binding, then I suspect the motor is damaged (dead spot on the armature).
Try removing the new gears you installed and "hot wire" the motor to see if it works, although this may not prove anything:( It depends on the position of the armature).

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Disconnect the chain or the sprocket from the motor, then hit the button to see which direction the motor runs. It may be possible that you reconnected the sprocket with the door closed but the opener 'thinks' it is open, or the reverse.

Or if the motor was seriously overheated it may be so low on power that it cannot lift the door, relieving the load to see if the motor will run.

You may be able to just pull the door release to let the chain and gear run without the door.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

/////update////
Yeap, I removed the chain off the top of the sprocket assembly and ran the garage door gearbox with no load on it and it turns a little but the AC electrical motor doesn't sound right at all and it gets HOT!!!! very fast not even completing one cycle with no load on it at all. What I did is moved the target off the down limit switch and she ran but sounded awful and just shut off on its on in between the up and down limit switch position according to the limit switch bracket. I think a bearing has gone bad inside that AC electrical motor and this garage door opener is very old even has the dip switches with no safety sensor eyes. I am thinking early 90's. Anyway, I troubleshot it and did everything I could possibly do so I went to Lowes today and bought a Chamberlain, half horsepower, chain drive and boy what a difference in how quiet it runs and so smooth as silk in opening and closing the garage door. so the door is fixed with a brand new garage door opener by Chamberlain and paid under $120.00 for it with my military discount. So I am a happy camper.