Campion Disappointment. (Long post)

billybugmaster

Recruit
Having recently purchased a new Campion 492cc I thought I'd share some comments.
Firstly, regarding the dealership.
I had an existing 23ft Campion cuddy (1992) which had served me well but was simply too big for our needs. I spoke to the local dealer regarding a trade in and although he said it was in very good condition he offered next to nothing for it.
He was really interested in the double axle trailer but not really the boat.
I ended up driving the boat three hours south to another dealer who offered nearly $2800 more on the deal based on pictures alone. The dealer reduced the offer by $500 on inspection because they said they found a leak in the shifter seal.
The boat was dry in the water but then again the drive was always lowered so perhaps this accounted for no leaks, either way it was still better than the local dealer and off I drove with my new boat.
What surprised me is the salesman?s lack of knowledge of the boat and no effort to cement the relationship with the customer. There was no, "Thanks for dropping $21,000 and change, here's some free oil for the motor". No subtle attempt to upsell,
?Do you need an anchor for the boat etc?, Just sign here and thanks.
I had to ask to be shown around the boat and it was obvious the salesman wasn't familiar with it. (he only found the battery on third try) Not to worry, I'll figure it out.

Onto Campion themselves.
The boat came with a washdown kit and I seriously doubt there is a more ridiculous place to put the switch for it.
Right in the walkway behind the seats, Back of inner transom.
Every single time you get in or out of the boat you bump it on.
The first time putting the boat in the water I nearly had a heart attack because water was flooding into the boat and all I could hear was a motor which I thought was the sump pump waking up. You can get a boat back on the trailer pretty quick when you want to.
I know why they put it there. It's the shortest possible place to run a wire from pump to switch.
I now keep the fuse removed until I can move the switch next summer.
On another note I emailed Campion customer service with two simple questions.
1) Roughly how long would the battery run the sump pump?
(The boat's on the lake at the cottage and out in the rain)
2) You, (Campion) advertise that the boat, which already has bimini could be purchased with a mooring cover. I was curious and asked for a photo.
Apparently you need an engineer to answer the sump pump question and he must be busy because he's been working on it for three months now.
And, it's impossible to get a picture of the mooring cover.
At the first the customer service lady simply stated where they purchased the covers.
I pressed again for a photo and was told to go find one on the maker?s website.
I indicated I?d already searched and if this is their idea of customer service they had a lot to learn.
Finally they sent back a picture not related in any way to the cover in question (other than it fits a generic boat).

I pursued a Campion because I thought the quality evident in the initial 1992 boat might be reflected in the new boats and in the operation itself.
Time will tell regarding the boat itself but I need no further time to say I think the customer service is bad and based on this alone Campion won't be my first choice next time.
On the upside the Evinrude outboard seem really nice. I especially like the self winterizing.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Campion Disappointment. (Long post)

interesting .... sorry (not surprised) to hear about the customer service .... I do hope that your boat will prove to serve you so well that the purchase issues will soon be forgotten

Jim

QC

Supreme Mariner

Actually sounds like a couple of pretty minimal issues. The bilge pump question should be pretty simple to ascertain here. I'd post the model of the bilge pump and your battery(s) rating in the Electrical section. I am guessing someone will be able to do that math for you.

It's too bad that the economy has hurt so many builders so badly, but the fact is they have all had to cut back on staff while sales are down so much. Some have weathered better than others. At least they are still in business which is a major achievement in this climate.

Good luck with the new ride!! :)

shrew

Lieutenant

Campion didn't make the battery and didn't make the pump. Battery size and type may vary. It's a loaded question. Take the Amp Hour (Ah) draw of the pump and calculate how long the battery can discharge that amount of Ah draw. If they told you where they buy the cover then call them.

It's sounds like you're making a really big deal out of nothing.

billybugmaster

Recruit

I agree, Campion didn't make the battery, didn't make the pump. They did make the selection and if I was building boats or in customer service you can bet I'd find the answer.
It's not that these issue can't be solved by the owner.
It's that every contact the vendor has with the purchaser is a chance for them to remind the owner why he went to them in the first place.
If your in sales, surely your job is to make it easier for the customer to come to you than anywhere else.

Not really a huge deal as you point out.
Just a disappointing one as it was a S*#t load of money.

oldjeep

Admiral

It is a question that can't be answered. Your battery life is going to depend on how often the pump cycles. Turning it on for 30 minutes straight is going to use less power than turning it on 30 times for one minute at a time.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm on your side billybugmaster, how long the battery will last has too many variables for a straight answer, but none is unacceptable. Champion should have at least guided you in the right direction to find out.

As for the cover, if you sell the boat with one then you should have a computer full of pics for the cover and every option that the boat can be ordered with.
It's hard to sell a dealer any option when you just tell them "it's available", no profit in that, if your going to offer it, then sell it, specs. pics., price, the whole kit and Kaboodle.

Last edited by a moderator: