1977 25 Evinrude shifter wont stay in drive

Mr. Legendary

Recruit
I have a 1977 25 hp Evinrude i just got this is my first one so idk much about them, i took it out yesterday and when i would put it in forward "drive" and start going it would do a hard shift back to neutral or reverse not sure which one. please help thanks !

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1977 25 Evinrude shifter wont stay in drive

I have a 1977 25 hp Evinrude i just got this is my first one so idk much about them, i took it out yesterday and when i would put it in forward "drive" and start going it would do a hard shift back to neutral or reverse not sure which one. please help thanks !

Welcome to iBoats.
Slipping out of gear is a symptom of a worn-out clutch dog and probably forward gear.

kbait

Commander

Your linkage may be out of adjustment. First off, if your using remote/cable controls, disconnect the shifter handle and operate manually. If it stays in gear, you need to adjust the cable reach.

If you're popping into neutral w/o controls hooked up, you can check the linkage as follows: Put motor in Neutral (engine off). Spin prop slowly by hand and shift slowly to Forward. Note how far out of N until prop stops spinning. Now do the same from N to reverse and note distance until prop stops turning(by hand). If it goes into reverse sooner than forward (from neutral), you can adjust your shift handle so the stroke is more biased to engage into forward quicker. Adjustment is here: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...cturer=Evinrude&section=Exhaust+Housing-25+Hp You can adjust how #39 is oriented to the shift handle. You can bias this to enter F quicker than R for a more positive engagement to forward gear.

All that said, you could have a gearcase issue (clutch dog/forward gear), but that usually manifests itself by popping to N and slamming back to F quickly like you hit a stump.

Also, if #22 or 23 is bent/broken, you can have a similar issue: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Gearcase-25+Hp

Check this stuff out and post back, and we'll help from there.

Good luck!

Mr. Legendary

Recruit

Thanks for the help i will try it tonight when i get home and let you know