New used boat, which engine?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Hey folks, I have another post from last week found here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=583552 but have come up with a different option and would like opinions.

Situation is this, looking at a couple used Lunds. One in particular is a project boat which is the one I think I've decided upon. I can buy it w/o an engine for a very good price which I'm willing to do.

The question comes down to engines. I have 4 that I've been looking at. The 1st is a 1987-88 40hp Johnson VRO with ptt. The second from what I can tell is a 1990 40hp Merc with ptt. The 3rd is a 1988 35hp Merc nothing fancy and the last is a 1975 Evinrude 50hp, condition is fair to good and the asking price is very low. I talked with the owner and he tells me it runs very well though it is in need of a water pump.

As it is I have zero experience with the Mercury outboards though am quite familiar with the smaller 35hp OMCs. Which way would you all go and why?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: New used boat, which engine?

As long as the boat is rated for at least 40 HP, I would go with one with PT&T. Mercury still makes outboards, so that would be my choice.

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

where are you finding these motors? ebay, craigslist? locally? ebay sellers have feed back ratings which provides 'some' peace of mind. are you able to see these motors run before hand?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I like the Merc.

A little easier to access the carbs on the Johnson.

Either way, its PTT or no sale. :)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

All are local, within a couple hrs drive, listed on CL. The 40 Merc is now gone already. Looked at the 40 Johnson and of course not as nice in person. That one was taken off a pontoon for a larger engine. The other 2 I haven't seen yet.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would go with the one that has the best compression, no water in the gear case and a recent water pump. Oh and I would ignor the glowing words about how well the engines run as told by the owner.

richardgreen

Seaman

I've looked at and owned motors like this before myself and here's what I've concluded...

'87-'88 J/E is generally regarded as a great engine. I owned one. On the negative side I've been told the factory PTT for those (pre '89) can be expensive to fix. Don't know as mine had manual tilt which got kind of annoying fast.

'90 Merc I believe is the 4 cyl crossflow design. Generally regarded as smooth running, reliable and great for trolling. However, compared to the above J/E they are thirsty and have more moving parts to break.

The 35hp Merc doesn't have a bad reputation but I don't think most consider it a great motor. I had one and it was just OK. It was too underpowered for me on a 500# boat. I don't think it would plane out the Lunds you have noted easily.

'75 J/E - older than I would prefer

If it were me I would go for the '80s or newer J/E for the following reasons...
- excellent reputation
- relatively low cost/ease to rebuild if necessary
- decent fuel economy

Not that any of these motors are bad, it's more just an issue of preference. Today I run a Lund 16D with a slightly newer J/E 50 w/ ptt and it's a great rig. Good luck!

RG

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Rich, thanks for the input. Very enlightening.

Again I myself am much more familiar with the 2 cylinder JohnnyRudes and the only real experience with Mercury was with a neighbors 50hp and then a 65hp.

Also as an update the Lund I was considering has been dropped after finding out more detail of it's condition. But I have scored a 1988 Alumacraft Classic 16 that is in much better condition for just a bit more money. Unfortunately it too is going to need an engine or major repair. It has a 70hp Rude VRO on it now but have been told that the driveshaft is siezed into the powerhead which was found while doing a water pump change. Should be picking it up Sat. or Sunday.

Can anyone inform me as to the difference between the late 1970s 50hp and the VRO version?

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The 40 merc I ran on my Smokercraft fishing boat, was a very nice running powerplant, Once I remove the three floors and saturated foam, this Merc would give me 22-24 MPH. I had a manual hydrolic trim system, and would think you would want some form of PTT. I would have no problem buying another rig powered by Merc.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Update.

The Lunds were past on and a 1988 Alumacraft Classic 16 was purchased as was mentioned above. The 70hp Rude is pretty muc toast as there was a lot of damage done to the lower unit and exhaust housing when they tried to remove it for a water pump change. So basically the boat was less engine, just boat and trailer with the junker still attached.

So I will still be looking for a replacement engine for this rig. The boat is rated for a 75hp max though I was thinking of down sizing to a 50-60hp 2 cyclinder OMC to reduce weight and fuel usage. I believe there is no need for the big 3 cylinder as most all of the waters I visit are less then 1000 acres and 90% of the time there is only myself or one other person in the boat.

As it sits right now the old engine is fitted with PTT and the control box has the PTT button in it along with a trim gage so I would like to find a 50-60 that this will match up to so as to not have to change the shift control and refit all the cables and wiring.

Annyone with any ideas of which years OMC will do this?