Need help identifying this old woody

DeckApe

Cadet
I found this old gal in a warehouse up here in the high desert. She has rebuilt engines, but sitting up here in dry desert I'm not even sure if she's worth saving. I know she is 36' long with a 10' beam, but couldn't find any other marking through all the dirt. Can anyone tell me what she is from my pictures, what she would be worth restored and how much it costs to restore?? Any thoughts or comments will be helpful since I know nothing about wooden boats. My wife would probably appreciate someone talking me out of taking on this project. Did I mention the boat is free to a good home?

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Need help identifying this old woody

If restoring an old wooden boat was something I've always wanted to do, then I'd go for it. Estimating the cost of a resto is impossible until you tear into it and see how much stuff needs to be replaced due to rot. There's a good chance that the entire hull will need to be refastened. That's a ton of bronze nails.

If you go into it thinking it'll ever be worth money to anyone else, forget it. Something like a 1930's Chris*Craft runabout might pay off, but pretty much nobody is interested in a big ol' wooden cruiser from (what looks like) the 1950's.

My .02

JimVa

Recruit

Look for the Coast Guard Documentation Number and then google Coast Guard Documentation. Its a long shot based on the age of the boat.

southkogs

Staff member

Wild guess, but it looks rather Chris Craft Constellation-ish. I agree with what JoLin said. Nice lookin' boat.

shrew

Lieutenant

The boat is free for a reason. It will cost more to get the boat right than she is worth. There is no such thing as a free boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The bow shape is not typically ChrisCraft. My guess would be a late 1950's Owens.

Its a lapstrake hull. If my age guess is correct its likely to be planked with 5200 between the laps. If that's the case the hull should be an easy fix, as long as there is no dryrot.

If the engines are as you say, and servicable, looks like just the project I would love to tackle.

On the east coast that boat in running condition would sell for 10 grand, give or take. So, if the motivation is profit, don't do it. If you want a boat that rides better, runs better and has a air of class that fibberglass doesn't have, then that's the boat for you. In the long run, it'll be cheaper to get in the water than a comparable size current vintage cruiser.

Caveat - the suggestions are purely based on the visuals of your pics.

matt167

Captain

The cabin lines suggest a Tollycraft, but I can't find any that are lapstrake hull's.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

My first thought was Chris-Craft Sea Skiff. Then I saw the bow shot. The shape of the bow and the slight break in the line at the rubrail makes be think Trojan.

Ned L

Commander

No question, she's an Owens. She is carvel mahogany planked (not lapstrake), (possibly batten seam - I don't remember) above the chine, and a diagonally planked bottom. They were notorious for rot, esp. with that planking schedule where there is a lot of plank runout and end grain at the shear up forward. Typically Owens were at the 'lower end end', but this one may be a bit different for value as she is a survivor and there would be so few left. If she has been in that dry environment for decades she might not be to bad (though typically they had significant rot within the first ten years or so). At least it looks like she has been well blocked so she might not have suffered much from being there (might actually have done her good). Even if she needs only cosmetics (paint & varnish) there is a lot of work required in order for her to have significant value. She has a teak foredeck, what condition is that in? Can you get more pictures? (close ups, engines, bottom, bilge, etc)? We could better comment then

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

smiles as the drooling begins and hands out some towels.