I'm confused by Merc/Mariner fuel connectors

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 40HP Mariner that's getting hard to start. Bulb would get hard after a couple pumps mid-summer but when taking it out for winter storage it wouldn't. I want to replace the entire line as there's some cracking going on. The connectors are push-on and the engine side doesn't match the "Mercury/Mariner" labeled ones at the local sports shop (no marinas around here). I don't know what year this motor is but I assumed it's pretty old (the pontoon is a '72). It's 200 miles away so don't ask for the numbers :)
I have a 1982 Mariner 5HP that uses the exact same connectors. The part that confuses me is that the online parts sources for "pre-1998" Mariners all show twist-lock connectors. What's the reason for my confusion?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I'm confused by Merc/Mariner fuel connectors

I have found that Merc has used several conectors in the past. There are the old push in an twist to lock that came in two diffrent sizes a smaller one that fits the older 110 motors and smaller an a larger one for motors over the 110 size. They look the same but are diffrent. Those were used up to around 1985 then the newer push on with a side lock simaler to a OMC were used. I have found that some manufactures of the aftermarket of that style will not fit as they should because the hole with the O ring is to small for the motor fitting. Looking at the end of that style one has a ball seal in it and the other is flat and it will not fit the merc motors as it is to small and is very hard to push on the motor. Best to get a fitting that is the same as on the old hose or reuse that fitting with a barb fitting if it did not suck air and cause trouble.
JMO
Oldman570

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

If it is a Japanese made Mariner, I believe the Yamaha connectors will fit (at least they do on my 1982).

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yep same on my 1996