What do i have here?

Grundle

Cadet
hello all, i was cleaning out someone's shed yesterday, and i found a propeller. it's brand new, with a label on it that says Essex Machine Works. also, stamped on the propeller are some numbers: 16LH14, 05074, 75311, E2664.
as far as i know, it is made of bronze, and will fit a 1 1/4" shaft.

i have no use for this propeller and would like to sell it. can anyone tell me how much this propeller is worth?

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: What do i have here?

Thats a prop for a straight inboard.Left hand rotation. Apparently 16" diameter and 14" pitch.
Older style blades.The bore is tapered.
It is Brass as bronze doesn't hold up in the water.I think it's worth about $1.65 a lb.
The market is pretty narrow RH rotation is more normal I'm thinking an older slow turning motor.
I had a 1929 Dodge with a 125 hp Lycoming straight 8 and a 3200 rpm max It had a 14 X 14 RH Equipoise prop A newer design available circa 1935.and A 14X13 would have been a little better.
The original prop was a Hyde 15 X 15. It had a lot of slip.

dwco5051

Commander

To the right person it may have a lot of value as a prop. The problem is finding that person.

It is the kind of thing I would love to have on my den wall and its value may be as a decoration. There is probably a boat shop that would love to have it on display with the original label still on it. A great conversation piece and attention getter.

Grundle

Cadet

oh no! you guys are breaking my heart! i was hoping that this would be a $400 find!! :(

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Steelspike: You have it backwards. It is bronze, as brass does not do well in water. Basically, brass is a mix (alloy) of copper and zinc while bronze is a mix (alloy) of copper and tin. Naval bronze is a special alloy with other metals and is more corrosion resistant.

Remember the Bronze age? The swords and tools were made from bronze because it is more durable than brass.

The zinc in brass will dissociate in water just as if it were an anti-corrosion galvanic zinc.

Anyway, the OP should search ebay Bronze props. They range all over the place in price and he just may get a decent return. He won't get rich but given the apparent good condition, 100 bucks might not be out of the question.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...while agreeing with the pitch, rotation and material being bronze, my question is how has the sticker remained after the poor prop has been beat on and off with a hammer?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I should know better. I have 6 or 7 "Bronze" props sitting on my bench.
They seem to accumulate somehow.
As far as the label goes I'm guessing its from a repair shop.

Grundle

Cadet

i couldnt tell you guys. i did see some tool marks on the hub, but i didnt know what they were from. as far as i know, this thing was made that way, and has been like that ever since. i am not sure those marks are from beating it off a hub. there is no wear or marks on the leading edge of the blades, so i am assuming that the prop is brand new. the three beveled marks on the hub, i am assuming, are from balancing the assembly after manufacture. anyone want this, shoot me a private message with an offer.