6hp johnson restrictor plate ????

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had my carb off to clean it and there is a restrictor plate between the carb and inlet what would happen if I filed this plate out to the same size as the inlet, would it make any difference ??

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6hp johnson restrictor plate ????

So what 6HP motor do you have? Year and model?

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi ondarvr, I have a 1983 6hp model number :J6BACTA , but reading leeroys rambleings things dont add up ie I have the kill button on the end of the tiller with no dead man, and aparently they didn't make a 6hp in 83 ??

kfa4303

Banned

Hi slate123. I believe you have a 1983 6 hp Belgian model, which is why there may be a discrepancy in some of the features and why it is so hard to track down a manual for it. I think you can use the manual from a 1984 6 hp in its place. I've posted a link to it below as well as a great all around maintenance link. I think the only way reducing the size of the restricter plate would help gain hp is if you could increase the timing to keep pace with the increased fuel/air delivery. I'm not sure how/if you could do that with your motor, however. Keep us posted. I'm curious to see how it turns out. Are there any vids on youtube of people who have done a similar mod?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1984&hp=6&model=J6RCRM

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC 6-8hp.htm

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi KFA4303, thanks for the links I have ordered a carb rebuild kit, as mine did not look like it had been done, the float looked very old, itis increaseing the timeing that worries me how easy is it? I like to do my own repairs as I got a lot of tools from my father in law when he passed away, he worked for cosworths for 32 years (I wish he was still here) but if anyone could explane how to advance the timeing I would greatfull
slate1234

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi KFA4303, thanks for the links I have ordered a carb rebuild kit, as mine did not look like it had been done, the float looked very old, itis increaseing the timeing that worries me how easy is it? I like to do my own repairs as I got a lot of tools from my father in law when he passed away, he worked for cosworths for 32 years (I wish he was still here) but if anyone could explane how to advance the timeing I would greatfull
slate1234

kfa4303

Banned

Hi slate123. That would be nice if your Father-in-Law was still at Cosworth. You could have a one of a kind Cosi outboard. Unlike cars, generally speaking, outboards can't really be "tuned up" much beyond their factory specs, for a variety of reasons, particularly vintage models. To make matters worse, the timing on these motors is fixed and set by proper placement of the flywheel :/ As a result, I'm not sure you can increase it, so any extra fuel/air you might be able to get into they cylinders by opening up the restricter plate would either be wasted, or possibly even hinder the motor's performance by creating an overly rich mix. The only thing I can think of is to figure out some way to get the armature plate beneath the flywheel to rotate a few more degrees, but I'm not sure how to do it. Of course, all of this assumes that the engine block could handle the increased stresses, such as they are, which is again any area of uncertainty.

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that kfa4303 I;m leaveing it as it's ment to be after all it does the job ,I recon you guys have a bit more to worrie about at the momant stay safe mate, and that is extended to all of you guys over there