Is it safe to work on boat like this?

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking to bottom paint my boat. It is safe to hang the boat from the bow eye and transom eyes (granted you have straps rated for the weight)? I want to spray the bottom in one step. Thoughts?

IMG_1999.jpgIMG_2001.jpg

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Is it safe to work on boat like this?

The bow eye and transom eyes are NOT designed to hold the weight of the boat! Period! Block it twice, and do it safely.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't get anywhere that thing if for some reason the cleats & eye held it wouldn't be for long.

LK

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That you ask the question sort of answers it, there is a reason your brain told you that looked dangerous, because it is.

They may get away with that for awhile but eventually they will get one with some rot and it will drop like a stone, hopefully with no one under it.

I would maybe lift the boat like that but would immediately block it, that eye is designed for a straight pull not a huge side load like they have on it.

Looking at the second picture, I see jack stands supporting the hull. They will take most of the weight.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Contact OSHA and see what they have to say about it.

I'd say that is several $K in fines right there if an OSHA man walked in and someone was underneath that boat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It appears that the boat in the photos is in a marina, not your garage. Really, I suspect that size of your boat would make a difference.

If you are talking about a 17 footer, there is just not as much weight as the boat in the photo and you might get away with it. Note the phrase "Get away with it."

However, we have a tendency to underestimate our boats. Because we take them on and off the trailer so easily, we forget that they weigh (except for really small boats) as much or more than a car. AND, we would never work under a car supported with only a jack. Thus, when working under a boat (not on a trailer) safety would dictate using stands.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

You need a Plan B. Plan A is a death waiting to happen.......

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The rear jack stands are good.

You really need a support or two for the bow section and I would NOT work under the boat. The bow/keel support and the rear jackstands can be re-located as work moves along.

PLEASE do not work under that current set up or someone may be doing an early claim on your life insurance.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Often the bow eye is used to "guide" straps that go more substantially around the hull and bow. This example doesn't look right though. And as others have noted most of the weight (power end) is on jack stands at the stern.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

That is how the dealer loaded my new 22ft cuddy onto the trailer when I bought it.
And thats how the dealer where I live removed it from the trailer and loaded it onto a semi for a trip back to the factory for a repaint.
Starcraft has deemed these as lifting points on my Islander 221.
I don't know about working under them though. Loading only takes a minute and being under there for hours are two different things.
You should be taking the bow eye straps more to the sides for stability at the very least.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looking at the second picture, I see jack stands supporting the hull. They will take most of the weight.

Sounds like he wants to take them out to paint it by reading the original post.

LK

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

just curious .... how long has it been hanging there

Jim

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Years back a guy was lifting my 27 1/2'er off my trailer. It got about 12" off the bunks and the front eye let go with a bang. Fortunately no one underneath. Nuff said.

Thalasso

Commander

That is how the dealer loaded my new 22ft cuddy onto the trailer when I bought it.
And thats how the dealer where I live removed it from the trailer and loaded it onto a semi for a trip back to the factory for a repaint.
Starcraft has deemed these as lifting points on my Islander 221.
I don't know about working under them though. Loading only takes a minute and being under there for hours are two different things.
You should be taking the bow eye straps more to the sides for stability at the very least.

Remember that yours is aluminum. Probably weighs in at 4000lbs