97 3.0 LX Electric Choke

joey nathan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just trying to familiarize with new boat.

Choke has 12V to it, but I see no switch, button, etc. to activate same. Can someone enlighten me?

Thank You...

Attachments

• DSCN1756.jpg
    DSCN1756.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1

thumpar

Admiral
Re: 97 3.0 LX Electric Choke

They are automatic. Just push the throttle forward to set the choke before you start it. Once it warms up the choke will be open.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's automatic, thus the name automatic choke.
When you turn the ignition switch to run, the choke opens automatically as tthe engine warms up.

A carbed engine does not work like your EFI car engine.

joey nathan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems like the bi-spring would do what you're describing - so why is 12VDC necessary?

thumpar

Admiral

The 12v is what warms it. It doesn't run off the manifold temp.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bi-metallic spring CLOSES the choke.....the 12v connection gradually OPENS the choke as the engine warms....hope this helps...

The bi-metallic spring CLOSES the choke.....the 12v connection gradually OPENS the choke as the engine warms....hope this helps...

The choke will open when the ignition is on. The engine doesn't have to be running. The choke coil "assumes" the engine is running and opens at a preset rate that matches the fuel mix requirements of the engine as it warms up.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

ARG....you of course are right....the choke will open even if the engine is NOT running if the key is left on.....in trying to help clear up some confusion I guess I may be guilty of OVERSIMPLIFYING....thanks for the more complete explanation....hopefully this will bring the OP "up to speed" on this facet of the wonderful world of Mercruiser.....

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman

I guess I'm a little late to this thread but thought I'd chime in anyway to try and put together the bits that everyone else already said. An electric choke uses a bi-metal spring and an electric heating element to control the choke. The heater is wired to a "hot when run" circuit. On my boat with an aftermarket carb and no OEM wiring for the choke, the hot wire is connected to the ignition coil "hot when run" terminal. When the engine (and the spring) are cold and the ignition switch is turned on, the choke heater gets hot and warms the spring which opens the choke. On mine, it takes about a minute to go from closed to mostly open with ambient temp around 70 degrees. The heater is on anytime the ignition switch is in the run position, which means all the time the engine is running, plus any time it's not running and the switch is on. I *think* that when the engine is hot, there is enough heat conducted to the spring by way of ambient engine compartment air that the choke will remain mostly open for quite a while after the engine is shut off.

This is important to understand if you have a bit of trouble starting your engine when it's cold. If you are in the habit of cranking several seconds then resting the starter for 10 seconds (good practice) and NOT turning the switch to OFF, your choke is continuing to heat and will begin opening. That can further aggravate your cold start problem. So if you have an electric choke, get in the habit of turning the switch to full off position between cranking.

John