Maxum Depth finder ?

nichollb

Cadet
Hello I Just bought a 2005 Maxum 1900SR3 4.3L MPI.
It has a digital gauge on the dash for a depth read out, but it is not an option the original buyer picked.
Doing some research the factory depth finder was a through hull transducer that mounts just in front of the engine. Since the digital gauge is already in the dash can I assume that it is all wired and just need a transducer mounted and plugged in? Any Ideas on how to figure out where it plugs in?

I REALLY like to know how deep the water I am running in is.

jkwirfel

Recruit

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Maxum Depth finder ?

If it's not a factory installation, how the factory installed it doesn't really matter. I think it would be very odd for the PO to install the gauge but not the transducer. How many cables are coming off the rear of the gauge?

nichollb

Cadet

Thanks for the replys. I have not taken the gauge out. Here are some pics and a diagram, it is the blank gauge on the bottom left cluster. Looking at the engine diagram it shows the transducer (if installed) would have sat just infront of the bilge pump.
hour meter.jpggauges.jpgphoto (1).JPG

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

The location and type of the factory transducer is irrelevant if the gauge is not factory. Look on the rear of the gauge and determine the brand and go from there. Some gauges have both types of transducers available while others don't. As stated earlier it seems funny to me that someone installed the gauge and not the transducer. What did the seller say about the gauge and if nothing then I would call them back and ask. Previous owner might have the transducer sitting around and you can get it.

nichollb

Cadet

The guy I got it from was the original owner. He gave me all the original recipts, paperwork, manuals and brochures. So the gauge has been there since new. I am trying to avoid taking apart things that aren't broken.

Good point though seeing if anything is pluged into the back of the gauge will answer my question as to weather or not it is all ready wired and maybe I can even get a part number off it and then just find a transducer that will match.

I guess that I could also try contacting the dealer that the boat was bought at and see if they would be willing to sell me the transducer.
2009 was the last year that Maxum was in production so hopfully tracking this down will not be a pain in the ***.