2000 5.7 GS oil weight and specific antifreeze coolant for FWC

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

Need to do an oil change on motor, which is Penta 5.7 GS yr 2000, boat is new to me as I get into this being our first besides a SIB and outboard.

Volvo recommends 10w40 specific. anyone know who makes Volvo oil? Planning to use boat during winter mths here in Pacific Northwest and am wondering if something like Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 or a Mobil 10w40 is fine as substitute, staying with the same manual spec'd oil. I have been using the Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 in my cbr1100xx and it has been excellent.

Second question will a long life low silicate and phosphate free antifreeze/coolant be fine in my new 1/2 system fresh water cooler. considering this stuff below and last question how much coolant will I need for a 1/2 system, 2 jugs (just under 2 gallons)
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...+Life+Diesel+Antifreeze+Coolant.jsp?locale=en

thanks for replies

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2000 5.7 GS oil weight and specific antifreeze coolant for FWC

Moving to the non repair IO forum with the other thousand "Which oil should I use" theads. Look at the last page of this forum.

Re your oil question - 10/40 oil is 10/40 oil. It doesn't matter who makes it - any of the major brands will do. If you want to go with something other than what Volvo recommends then do so - everyone has their favorite oil. Personally, I always go with the manufacturers recommendations. They built the engine; they tested it with different oils - why ignore their recommendation?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Manufacturers just get oil companies to put their regular oils (for the most part) in containers with their graphics so they can sell oil to dealers. Then dealers add another profit to the price--essentially doubling the price from an oil you could purchase from WalMart.

BobIsTheOilGuy.com is the best source of information on all lubrication subjects, including marine engines. You can read for hours there. Check out what they have to say.

And, Mobil 1 will far surpass the protection of anything the motor manufacturers sell through their dealerships.

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, i am familiar w Bitog and agree w what you mentioned. When i asked a local Volvo Penta dealer about the single viscosity oil recommended as first choice in the manual they explained it has been replaced by 10w40. I have chose to go w 15w40 Rotella T. I know it is quality and i bought a 9.5 litre pail for 36 at wallyworld. Once it is done i will try to find mobile 15w40 or their 15w50. Yes the oil industry is a money making pit for sure! Cheers!!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I use Royal Purple 15-40 in my 2004 VP 5.7. Seems ok

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

curious to know how much coolant, seems I have put in 6 - 3.78 litre jugs of coolant with a San Juan FWC 1/2 system installed, ran to temp with cap off , surprised I could require a portion of a 7th jug which could put total coolant volume between 23-27 litres? No leaks anywhere and I am not getting any overflow while in use to the holding tank

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Here we go......................................And the race is on!

curious to know how much coolant, seems I have put in 6 - 3.78 litre jugs of coolant with a San Juan FWC 1/2 system installed, ran to temp with cap off , surprised I could require a portion of a 7th jug which could put total coolant volume between 23-27 litres? No leaks anywhere and I am not getting any overflow while in use to the holding tank

That seems like a lot......I have a full system on my 7.4L I don't think it took more than about 2 gallons of coolant + 2 gallons of water. which would be approx 15L total.