Oil advise for 2.3L omc.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys quick question. My manual calls for 0w30 engine oil. I can't find any in the town I live in at the moment.
Can I use 5w30 as a substitute? What's so special about 0w30 anyway? If I must use it I can order it in.
Thanks Stuart

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil advise for 2.3L omc.

What manual do you have that says you should use 0w30 oil?

matt167

Captain

If that is a standard Ford SOHC 2.3 as I think it is. It should run 5W30 IIRC. That's what my Ranger pickups ran anyway..

Synthetic oil is formulated so accurate nowdays that 0w oil is common. many manufactures now spec 0w20. It's mainly done because of it's cold flow characteristics, and thinner oil can achieve higher MPG. It's such an oil that is not available in a dino oil ( to my knowledge )

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's a boat, not a truck. Big difference in oil recommendations.

matt167

Captain

Yes, I know, the marine side of things, the engines are always under load, unlike automotive and the specifications will reflect differently.. I'm just not sure about 0W even existing when that 2.3 was made.. Be it not taking 5w30 or any other multi-viscosity, I can't imagine it taking a thinner oil than what I would put in my truck.. I know I'm guilty, being stuck in the automotive way of thinking.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer

What manual do you have that says you should use 0w30 oil?

Don. Sorry I may have made a mistake - The original manual that came with my boat. I still have it. It sais to use SAE 30 mineral Oil with a API service SF - I just rechecked it. Who makes sae 30 Is 5w30 still ok?

I'm confused as to what to put into the motor as its 23 years old. Maybe I should run some else due to its age?
Stu

SAE30 is readily available here (Ontario) - ( check Canadian Tire). I wouldn't go with a thinner than recommended oil. As engines wear they need a (slightly) higher viscosity - not lower.

matt167

Captain

I use Shell rotella T1 SAE 30 in my old car spec'd to use SAE 30 in warmer climates. It should be available in Canada. It's actually a tractor formula so it should be great for a marine engine. It's like $11/5 quart jug

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don. Sorry I may have made a mistake - The original manual that came with my boat. I still have it. It sais to use SAE 30 mineral Oil with a API service SF - I just rechecked it. Who makes sae 30 Is 5w30 still ok?

I'm confused as to what to put into the motor as its 23 years old. Maybe I should run some else due to its age?
Stu
Pennsoil makes 30W oil and you can get it in any Walmart store. In some cases non-detergent is best for older motors.
Larry E

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Pennsoil makes 30W oil and you can get it in any Walmart store. In some cases non-detergent is best for older motors.
Larry E

You can use any 30w oil. One should never use "non-detergent" (API SA) oil for anything (except lubing the door maybe)

matt167

Captain

SAE 30 non detergent is what I use in my air compressors. Same as air compressor oil, at 1/3 the cost... It used to be. If an engine had a filter, you used detergent, and if no filter, use non detergent.. IDK, maby non detergent would the correct oil to use in a Homelite/ Bearcat, but I'm not even sure how they work other than they used Crosley engines

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

SAE 30 non detergent is what I use in my air compressors. Same as air compressor oil, at 1/3 the cost... It used to be. If an engine had a filter, you used detergent, and if no filter, use non detergent.. IDK, maby non detergent would the correct oil to use in a Homelite/ Bearcat, but I'm not even sure how they work other than they used Crosley engines

Yeah. I thought we were talking about marine engines. Using API SA oil is right up there with engine oil system "flushes"......... Not something one should do with any engine.

matt167

Captain

Yeah. I thought we were talking about marine engines. Using API SA oil is right up there with engine oil system "flushes"......... Not something one should do with any engine.

We are. I was just making a general statement about why it exists, and giving the old Bearcat outboards as a possibility to what may have used ND.

ND has current uses in some tractors, some classic cars, but nothing Marine that I am aware of, except possible early inboard engines like Chris Craft K/Hercules engines if they ran w/o filters, but nothing within the last 40 years for certain

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

We are. I was just making a general statement about why it exists, and giving the old Bearcat outboards as a possibility to what may have used ND.

ND has current uses in some tractors, some classic cars, but nothing Marine that I am aware of, except possible early inboard engines like Chris Craft K/Hercules engines if they ran w/o filters, but nothing within the last 40 years for certain

Well, SA oil is non-detergent oil......

here's what the industry says about SA oil......

SA Obsolete CAUTION - Not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automobile engines built after 1930. Use in more modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.

I don't think it can be any clearer than that. Let me also add that if I had a pressure lubricated engine without a filter, I would add one.

Even in an engine with NO filter, it benefits from "detergent" additives because contaminants stay in solution longer instead of precipitating out. Having no filter simply requires changing the oil more frequently than you would need to otherwise.

matt167

Captain

I understand SA/ Non detergent, I know their recommendation is not to use after 1930, it's more than a few years shy of when it was last used tho. ND was common into the early 60's, Detergent oil wasn't common until the 50's, and even Chevy's first V8 came without a filter ( actually optional ). The theory was/ is. the trash, would fall to the pan and get caught in the sludge. The oil pan could be pulled periodically and scraped clean.. It wasn't ideal for the trash to get pulled thru the engine without getting filtered, but also Detergents were still uncommon when many of these engines were made. If I had an engine without a filter, I would also add 1 and then run detergent oil, but not without first checking the sludge condition in the engine. Detergent could dislodge sludge and plug up a galley, and wipe out bearings.. My '51 Chevy ( yes, An automobile ) has had a filter since it was new, specs SAE 30 for the warmer climates so I run Shell Rotella T1 SAE 30, as it's a good high quality detergent oil. It specs SAE 20 for year round climate, but I haven't found it in a detergent oil, it's a fair weather car anyway.
If I had an engine that was newly rebuilt but couldn't take an oil filter because there were no provisions, I would run a detergent oil.. I can add that aside from my air compressors. I'v never had a need for API SA oil.. Pretty much the only need for SA is if the engine has sludge which could be dislodged by detergents, but many of those engines are still in service

I'v also had a Beetle. Key point had. because those 1k mile oil changes and other maint costs were eating me alive. All I wanted was a cool DD

The OP's 2.3L has a good full flow, full pressure oil, so he too should be running a good detergent oil in the weight that OMC published

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The theory was/ is. the trash, would fall to the pan and get caught in the sludge. The oil pan could be pulled periodically and scraped clean.. It wasn't ideal for the trash to get pulled thru the engine without getting filtered, but also Detergents were still uncommon when many of these engines were made. If I had an engine without a filter,
Yes. It was also common to do the same with aircraft engines....In the 40's and 50's Continental and lycoming engines didn't come with filters but all had oil pick-up screens......

The "trash" would presumably be blocked by the oil pick-up screen ..............which is actually a filter.....just not a very good one.......but it didn't matter because the oils were so "bad" that they'd get changed before it became a problem.

Oils are far better now and getting still better. Engine manufacturers have even played around with the idea of "lifetime fill" oil. I.E. you don't change the oil for the life of the engine/vehicle.

I doubt the consumers would embrace that even if it did work ok. Consumers didn't immediately embrace (and some STILL don't embrace) detergent or even multi-grade oils........ which also explains the irrational fascination with oil and fuel "snake-oil" additives that some still insist are required (even in the face of contrary evidence)