How to remove magneto cam from 1976 omc 9.9

Yooks

Cadet
Hi I'm trying to replace the top seal in my 1976 Evinrude 9.9. I've removed the flywheel and the armiture plate, but the magneto cam will not budge. Are these pressed on, do I need some sort of puller to remove one?

The exposed part of the key on the crankshaft appears to not be protruding as much as the picture in the manual. Could it be wedged down in the slot in the cam, and causing the cam to be hard to remove?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to remove magneto cam from 1976 omc 9.9

The exposed part of the key on the crankshaft appears to not be protruding as much as the picture in the manual. Could it be wedged down in the slot in the cam, and causing the cam to be hard to remove? Jonathan

Yes, sounds as if the key is jamming it for some reason. They normally just lift off.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Take a soft wood wedge, & gently pry up on the cam, with the flywheel nut screwed flush on the crankshaft tap it gently.

kbait

Commander

Kodibass's method should work^.. a shot of pb blaster won't hurt :)

If it still won't budge you can just cut it off. I used a dremel cut-off tool.. Last resort though. You can get a used one cheap if you have to destroy yours. I use tim's outboard 218-682-2331.. they're AWESOME. Here are some other salvage yards: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=438822

Good luck!

Yooks

Cadet

Thanks all. I ended up buying a puller from Harbor Freight, which made short work removing the magneto cam.