Mercruiser 4.3 starter not turning over the engine

downsouth37334

Recruit
I just got a newly rebuilt engine. I swapped everything over and I got it sitiing on a box I made in the garage. I want to start it and make sure everything is good before I install it. When I try to crank it the starter engages on the flywheel and just clicks but want turn the motor over. I took the starter to a shop and had it rebuilt. It still does the same thing. I replaced the ring gear before installing the flywheel and I verified it was the correct one and the starter teeth do line up on the flywheel. I have taken out all the spark plugs and the motor spins easily with a wrench. The battery is good. It still looks like a bad starter to me. Anyone have some ideas? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 starter not turning over the engine

I just got a newly rebuilt engine. I swapped everything over and I got it sitiing on a box I made in the garage. I want to start it and make sure everything is good before I install it. When I try to crank it the starter engages on the flywheel and just clicks but want turn the motor over. I took the starter to a shop and had it rebuilt. It still does the same thing. I replaced the ring gear before installing the flywheel and I verified it was the correct one and the starter teeth do line up on the flywheel. I have taken out all the spark plugs and the motor spins easily with a wrench. The battery is good. It still looks like a bad starter to me. Anyone have some ideas? Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Sounds like a Dead battery to me,...

How did ya test it, as ya say it's "Good",..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I try to crank it the starter engages on the flywheel and just clicks but want turn the motor over.

Dead battery, or loose,corroded, battery cables or connections.

downsouth37334

Recruit

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Sounds like a Dead battery to me,...

How did ya test it, as ya say it's "Good",..??

Just checked it with a meter. It is 12.6V and when the started is engaged it holds at 11.2V

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

I had that problem and found it to be the cables were not tight enough, even though I thought they were. Be sure there clean and real tight.

Bondo

Staff member

Just checked it with a meter. It is 12.6V and when the started is engaged it holds at 11.2V

Ayuh,.... At the battery terminals, or the starter terminals,..??

11.2v is low...

downsouth37334

Recruit

Ayuh,.... At the battery terminals, or the starter terminals,..??

11.2v is low...

I took the battery and had it load tested and it is good. The wires look fine and I think I have it wired correctly. On the big center lug on the starter I have a small red wire, orange wire, and big red wire (that goes to battery post). On the small right post I have a white wire with a red stripe. On the small left post i have no wire. The ground wire from the battery goes to a stud on the motor mount. At the harness plug I have a jumper wire going to terminal 5 and 6 (this is for the ignition coil). I then take a jumper wire from the battery to terminal 7 (this activates the starter). Is this all correct?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Can you turn the engine manually?

downsouth37334

Recruit

Can you turn the engine manually?

Yes, it will turn with a wrench. Before I had the starter rebuilt I connected the battery cables directly to the starter and it only did the clicking sound. I will try loosening the starter bolts and crank it. Maybe it is too tight on the flywheel

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a good ground cable? Just clicking sounds like low amperage through the system.