Fuel tank removal

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Guys;

I 've removed my fuuel tank to have it steam cleaned and pressure tested. Two of the tabs that hold the tank down were broken. Also I would like to replace the foam strips that go under and on the sides to isolate the tank. I'm mot sure where to get this stuff. Our local Sea Ray dealer was no help.

Here are acouple of pictures of what I'm doing.In the second picture is one of thos tabs. I beleive they are some kind of plastic. Everyy thing is dry and solid, but just dirty. I plan on cleaning everything. Alsso i'm going to change the loweer shift cable while I have the engine out.

IMG_0064.jpg photo (3).jpg photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 5.jpg

Thanks for input.....

Ken

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuel tank removal

You can buy installation kits and parts at the big O.com out of Fayetteville, NC. Your regular boat dealer can order such items from the marine parts wholesalers he does business with.

tpenfield

Staff member

Those rubber strips are nothing fancy . . . you could probably find the same type of stuff in the weather stripping department at a home improvement store.

The fact that 2 of the tabs that hold the tank were broken may indicate that the tabs are not strong enough or the mounting is not good enough. So, you probably want to beef the up a bit. Also, many manufacturers do not provide drainage to their fuel bays, trapping water around the tank, etc. . . You may want to consider adding drainage that can be plugged when the boat is in the water, etc.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that foam is very similar to the foam weatherstripping that used used on truck caps...between the truck rail at the topper that sits on the truck rails.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

If you get foam at a box store make sure it is "closed" cell neoprene.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Another option: I think Friscoboater on his legendary sea ray thread just cut up up a rubber door mat into strips and glued them down..