Cranking Problem

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class
1983 Chrysler 90 horse 4cyl. When I crank it the starter engages the flywheel then pauses for about 3-4 seconds, then cranks normal. I put a new solenoid and it still does it. I'm guessing it's the starter BUT I replaced the old one already for doing the same thing. Grant it, it was with a used one from the local boat place so mabye I got weak one? New battery and connections seem fine.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cranking Problem

Connections seem fine

"Seem?" Have you removed those cables, scrubbed the connections shiny and reinstalled? Seems weird, I know, but hidden corrosion causes more replacement of good starters and solenoids, not to mention batteries, than all other causes combined. I don't KNOW this, but I have that impression.

It costs zero to do this. And even if it does no good you haven't wasted bux.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take the cables out and inspect the full length. They can develop cracks in the insulation which are impossible to see until they are out. Especially where they go through the cowling and,are bent repeatedly whilst tilting the motor.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I noticed that in another thread you said you would Kill for a Prestolite ignition 125. You can make your 90 perform almost as well if you are willing to search a bit, spend some money, and do a little work.

Background: Before 1982 your four cylinder 90 was badged as the 105. When all manufacturers changed to propshaft rating, Chrysler simply downrated the 105 to a 90. ALL four cylinder engine blocks are the same with different porting and carburetion as the only changes. Sorry, there are also two different bore sizes so in some cases pistons can not be swapped, but almost everything else can be.

NOW: To perk up your 90 and make it give an honest 90 HP, you would first look for manifolds and Big TC carbs from a Chrysler or Force 120-125-140--doesn't matter what year. Some Chrysler 120s came with small WB carbs so check before you buy if you get carbs off a Chrysler 120. Remove the manifolds with the small WB carbs from your 90 and substitute on the big manifolds and TC carbs. It is a simple swap and bolt-on. No modifications are necessary.

Secondly, search for a 2 to 1 ratio lower unit from a late Chrysler or early Force 85 HP engine. Swap this directly onto your engine and buy a prop 2 pitches higher. That is, if you are using a 13 X17 prop, swap on a 13 X 19.

With these simple changes, you will gain somewhere around 3 to 8 MPH in top speed.

If you look for engines that are not running, you should be able to buy the whole engine and get these parts relatively cheap. Then, save other parts for spares or sell on craigs or ebay.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am confused, Frank. Really valuable information and advice in your post, but completely off topic. Did you intend it for a different thread?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, a bit off topic, but I did intend it for this thread: In answer to another post on a Force 125 he expressed desire for a 125 which I interpreted as a wish for more performance. SO: I gave him a couple of hints on how to pep up his 90. He was adequately answered about his starter so I had nothing to add on that, and he might not have read it in the other post so I put my reply here.

See: There is a method to my madness---or is it the other way?

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both batt cables were rusted at engine end so I sanded them down and it cranks way better, almost no pause at all. The neg was worse and super hot after I cranked it before sanding. Dam engine turned into a rust bucket;(. The head bolts and plugs are rusted too. It's been sitting for about 14 monthd due to my truck breaking down and I barely got it fixed. I also want to replace my harness or make my own as it's pretty old but for now I'll probably cut the wires an inch back and put new ends.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to see you are making some headway!

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ya same thing happened to me recently. thought for sure my starter was going bad. new battery and all summer it was weaker and weaker and almost not cranking. the terminals had no corrosion or anything and the starter connections were shiny like new. the ones on the battery LOOKED fine. after i took some emry cloth to them they magically went from black to copper. problem solved.