Engine swap from '86 to '96 Prostar

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an '86 Prostar 190 with the original Ford 351 Windsor. I am considering a trip to buy a '96 Prostar 205. I want to take my motor and drop it in the 205. What should I be aware of with this plan...any issues with this? I need to make a quick decision and would appreciate your expertise. THANKS!!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine swap from '86 to '96 Prostar

Hello Joe. I moved this overt to the Inboard section as this is not necessarily a Mastercraft issue, and there is so much more traffic over here.

What's in the 205? Same tranny? I would be concerned about transmission mounting more than anything. Waterlines should not matter, fuel lines should not matter, Electrical should all work as is depending on the harness. Gauge package?

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 205 was used in salt water and not cleaned out; sat for 2 years which is why the seller says it needs a motor. Don't know about the tranny question, the boat is 6 hours away. What other issues might I run into??

QC

Supreme Mariner

Is it a 351 too? You could swap in everything, that would eliminate the tranny issue. Or use best of both of they are compatible. Shaft diameter? Shaft log location? It really all depends on what's coming out of the 205.

86 century

Ensign

If they both have ford based eng it should be pretty easy.

Or as long as they have the same tranny the bellhouseing will swap over so no problems there.