Does upgrading from points to electronic distributor help?

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I said does it help, I'm not even sure what. I just read that it's better but for those that did the upgrade, did you see a difference? My boat runs fine now, I threw out the ford 302 and got a chevy 350 motor in there so power isn't an issue. But if it runs quieter and smoother and especially more efficient I'm all in.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does upgrading from points to electronic distributor help?

When I said does it help, I'm not even sure what. I just read that it's better but for those that did the upgrade, did you see a difference? My boat runs fine now, I threw out the ford 302 and got a chevy 350 motor in there so power isn't an issue. But if it runs quieter and smoother and especially more efficient I'm all in.
Only thing it does is keep you from changing points. Assuming the points are set correctly, you will see no difference.

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only thing it does is keep you from changing points. Assuming the points are set correctly, you will see no difference.

in that case, I'll just save my money and replace it when i really do need to replace my points. thanks!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I used to replace my points every year or every other year.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

The basic difference between the contact point and the electronic ignition system is in the primary circuit. The primary circuit in a contact point ignition system is open and closed by contact points. In the electronic system, the primary circuit is open and closed by the electronic control. The secondary circuits are practically the same for the two systems. The difference is that the distributor, ignition coil, and wiring are altered to handle the high voltage produced by the electronic ignition system. One advantage of this higher voltage (up to 60,000 volts) is that spark plugs with wider gaps can be used. This results in a longer spark, which can ignite leaner air-fuel mixtures.:D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The secondary circuits are practically the same for the two systems. The difference is that the distributor, ignition coil, and wiring are altered to handle the high voltage produced by the electronic ignition system. One advantage of this higher voltage (up to 60,000 volts) is that spark plugs with wider gaps can be used. This results in a longer spark, which can ignite leaner air-fuel mixtures. As a result engines can run on leaner mixtures for better fuel economy and lower emissions. 2-35 :D
Not sure where you cut and pasted that from but replacing the point system with a Pertronix type setup, you may have a tough time realizing what you posted in that last sentence.

You really propose leaning up a carburator in a boat due to a spark voltage and gap change. I hope you aren't serious.

If I was to upgrade from points, I would just upgrade to a Delco Voyager EST system. Then you actually get away from a distributor with a mechanical advance. Maybe that is what the OP was referring to anyway.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

1. No one mentioned anything about pertronix and I had to lean my fuel off changing from points to electronics' and have had no problems. I've gone from a 260hp engine to 330hp engine and use less fuel, Mmmm I must be doing something wrong or do people love working on their boats rather than enjoying them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

1. No one mentioned anything about pertronix and I had to lean my fuel off changing from points to electronics' and have had no problems. I've gone from a 260hp engine to 330hp engine and use less fuel, Mmmm I must be doing something wrong or do people love working on their boats rather than enjoying them.
Please describe your process in which you decided you needed to lean your carburator after installing the Electronic distributor. You actually replaced your jets after the ignition change?

As I recall you switched engines completely going from a non-vortec to a vortec engine and put a new distributor on your new engine. Don't recall you ever running your points distributor on your new engine.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Without prejudice : This thread has nothing to do with my boat , it's about points versus electronic ignition and my opinion is electronics' and I gave the reason why.
And I don’t wish to get into a debate about what your thoughts are about my engine set up, it runs absolutely fine and I did it my way with some helpful people on this forum and others.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bottom line, in a boat, it is not going to help your performance and you are not going to be able to lean your fuel mixture by changing to electronic ignition.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Advantages of electronic ignition conversion:

Set it and forget it - Never adjust points and timing again!

Zero maintenance

Delivers far more voltage to the spark plugs than contact breaker points

Reliable technology

Never gets out of adjustment

Rock-steady reliability

Dwell and timing are always spot-on accurate

Increased gas mileage, fuel economy guaranteed

Quick starting

Smooth idling

Cleaner emissions

Longer spark plug life

Longer engine life

Cleaner engine oil due to less unburned fuel

No points to wear, burn, pit or corrode

No condenser needed

Absolutely no points float - zero - even at redline RPM and beyond!

Never worry about drifting dwell or timing again

No rubbing parts - nothing to wear out!

Stealth modification - maintains stock appearance

Encased in high-temp thermoplastic - protected from the elements and oil, grease, dirt, water, etc.

Never bother with points or condenser again!

The best investment you'll ever make

Saves precious ($$$) fuel

http://www.msdignition.com/products/towing_marine/

Good luck and happy boating

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I agree, its a maintenance upgrade. Just not going to help performance nor fuel economy on an engine without a closed loop system.

I am not saying it isn't a good upgrade, especially if you go to the Delco Voyager...it is. Just not going to increase performance.

To me though, you are downgrading reliability from a points system by going to Pertronix which is why it is recommended to carry a spare set of points when you do that modification.

I see where you got your info from your previous post. Not sure it is wise to believe everything you hear from a Chinese company selling aftermarket auto parts.
http://www.b2bage.com/product-auto-ignition-system/198250/classic-car-ignition-conversion-kit.html

bezerk1

Seaman Apprentice

Upgrade to Pertronix. Never look back. Anybody that recommends point over electronic is out of their mind. Period.

matt167

Captain

There is a downside to everything. Pertronix is susceptible to overheating,meaning if you leave the key on for any reason for any length of time, the pickup/kit will burn up and leave you stranded, with a replacement cost over $100. If you leave the key on with points, and the points happen to be in the closed position, your out $20-30 at best, but a point file would probably get it running again if they did burn

That said, points bounce above 3k RPM or so, so 3k RPM and above, the timing your actually getting is 'close' above 3k

I upgraded my 1951 Chevy car ( engine/ trans never been touched otherwise, not even the carb ). Still 6v, but I bought the 6V pertronix kit for it. Installed in a couple mins. Gutting the points parts actually took longer than the installation. Also added the flamethrower coil.. The engine starts in about 2 less revolutions than it did with points, can pull the choke off much sooner. Smoother running and it's got a little better acceleration.. Not a boat but it is a good example of what it can do for an engine.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Get yourself one of these kits it has full instructions how to wire it up to an OMC and trust me you will notice a difference compared to points : 5.7L GM Delco Voyager EST marine electronic distributor kit Made for ALL 5.7L (350ci) marine engines made from 1967-2011

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

ertronix is susceptible to overheating,meaning if you leave the key on for any reason for any length of time, the pickup/kit will burn up and leave you stranded.
When I convert from points to electronic, I keep the point's secured on board in a dry place just in case the electronic fails. At least they will get ya back home!
Grub

beermak

Seaman

I did the upgrade recently and for the moment the only huge change is the starting and the initial timming setting was perfect and has stayed that way. W points every other day didnt start hesitated and so..

I have no real data to say that it uses less fuel runs more etc etc but with being able to turn the key and start w no problems thats the big deal

Points where changed 3 times in 3 months and never helped, for whom thinks they lacked of maintence

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Points where changed 3 times in 3 months and never helped, for whom thinks they lacked of maintence
If you replaced points 3 times in 3 months, its probably the person installing the points or another issue. Did you use a dwell meter? Did you change the condensor? Did you have a ballast resistor in the circuit? Did you have the proper coil(no internal ballast)?

matt167

Captain

Agree. Something not right with 3 month point changes. Another possibility is the lack of point cam lube. It doesn't come with every set of points like it used to, but without it, they don't last long.