2001 Evenrude 200 HP engine runs, then shuts down due to a over heat sensor, but ther

flywelder

Seaman Apprentice
I am the second owner of a 2001 Evinrude 200 HP outboard, that starts and idols great. Throttles up and away we go! then 6-8 minutes of running on the water and alarms on the motor go off and the motor idols down and shuts off. Then will not restart. After talking to many people around home, and every one has their own ideas of what is wrong. I took the boat and motor to a local Evinrude dealer who said he knew what was wrong and sending the computer off to be repaired would fix the trouble. So I agreed, and he sent the computer off to Arizona ...cost $1400.00 ! ouch!

Computer came back and was installed. Dealer called me and said, " the boat is repaired and ready for pick up. and he took the boat out and up and down the river there at the marina, and all is well!"
SO i came to the marina, family in tow. I paid the dealer, and loaded into the boat for a day on the water. It did run fine....for 6-8 minutes and then alarms on the engine went off and the whole scenario started over!!!! rrrrg! I called the marina and had them come rescue us and tow us back to the marina, then i locked horns with the dealership and went round and round!
Dealer looked over the motor again, called me a week later and said they had found the problem, he said I should come by the marina so he could explain. I did and here his what transpired and I want your opinions about.

He explained that they determined there is a plugged water passage inside the motor in the section he calls the "adapter plate" it is located between the exhaust housing and the power head.
He went on and said, "there is a 3/8 in diam. hose coming from the vapor separator with hot water inside it, and it is connected at the factory to the adapter plate and emptying into this adapter plate, and some how then mixing with the exhaust water from the engine and would normally flow out threw the prop." he said, " some where there is a plugged passage and water cannot flow out of the hose and instead is backing up the hose to the vapor separator and into the head and setting off the 'over heat sensor'. " I think that's where the problem was all along. !!

To correct this, He wants to disconnect the hose from the adapter plate, and drill a hole threw the plastic shroud on the motor cover and direct the hose threw that drilled hole so that it empties directly into the lake or river. then plug and seal the barbed fitting that the hose was attached to on the adopter plate. I asked him if he had tested this there on the the water at the marina and did it work? he replied yes they took the boat out and tested it. it worked successfully.... { I am very doubtful any more if the marina is testing the engine on the lake at all}

He showed me pictures of this adapter plate in a: 2002-2003 Evinrude service manual under ' Hose routing-cooling system and water flow diagram for 90 deg. models ' page 225.

He said there are hundreds of small passages inside this adapter plate, and just pushing a small wire into the fitting where the hose attaches will not open it.

I'm leery
about going ahead with this procedure. So I ask you, does this sound like a good repair procedure or not and why not?
Is there something that is being over looked?
IS there red flags all over this?
Have you the cure for this motor, what is it?
Have you heard of this problem before and found a cure?
The marina wants to charge me $350.00 for this.
Thanks to all that will respond! I really appreciate your help on this!

Re: 2001 Evenrude 200 HP engine runs, then shuts down due to a over heat sensor, but

Well, if there's a service bulletin about the fix then maybe, but it sounds kind of dodgy. I'm sure one of the guys will be along who can address that with more authority.

As far as charging you $350 to do that I think he's full of crap - you've already paid him $1400 to repair something that didn't need to be repaired.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 Evenrude 200 HP engine runs, then shuts down due to a over heat sensor, but

He said there are hundreds of small passages inside this adapter plate,
BS
So I ask you, does this sound like a good repair procedure or not and why not?
No as the adapter plate has unused passages capped off with threaded plugs and also they can be drilled and re-plumbed as this is what factory did when they went to the 3.3L motor. Sound more like a half *** fix to overcome a problem like a cracked/melted plate. Also the water plate that attaches to adapter could be damaged as I have seen all the above......

flywelder

Seaman Apprentice

All very good replies! I spoke with the marina owner today, and we locked horns! he won't budge! and says if I don't pay him More $$$ for the time and troubleshooting they have done he will remove and undo all that he has done so far and I can come get the boat!....I reminded him I have paid him already $1400.00 and he had better not remove or undo anything!...but of course the boat is there with him and i am 35 miles away! a lot of good my threats will do! I told him not to do anything more till I call him again this week. Have any of you additional ideas and advice please? PS: the marina is in NC on upper Lake Norman.

daselbee

Commander

Bills Marina? Lake Norman Marina? Mark Kale?
I would be interested in knowing. PM me if you will......

That is BS about the hundreds of passages in the adapter....just like Fazt says.