Unleaded fuel, and fuel additives in a 305

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, here's a question which two mechanics have given me contradicting answers to;
I have a 1983 Mercruiser 228 (GM 305) and I am wondering whether or not I should be using some sort of fuel additive with unleaded fuel to guard against such things as valve seat recession, etc? Would this engine have hardened valve seats and so doesn't require lead, or lead substitute to lubricate?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Unleaded fuel, and fuel additives in a 305

Ok, here's a question which two mechanics have given me contradicting answers to;
I have a 1983 Mercruiser 228 (GM 305) and I am wondering whether or not I should be using some sort of fuel additive with unleaded fuel to guard against such things as valve seat recession, etc? Would this engine have hardened valve seats and so doesn't require lead, or lead substitute to lubricate?

Thanks

Ayuh,.... Unleaded gas came into bein' a Decade before that motor was built,....

It was Made to run Unleaded gas...

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great, thanks for that. We didn't see unleaded fuel here in New Zealand until the late 1980's, hence the confusion.

Cheers

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1981 version of that engine and I run Super unleaded as it's the only fuel we can get that doesn't have ethenol.

airshot

Rear Admiral

I have a 1981 version of that engine and I run Super unleaded as it's the only fuel we can get that doesn't have ethenol

Do yourself a favor and start adding the blue (marine) formula from stabil, started using it two years ago in my 1983 and would not leave the dock without it. It would allow you to drop back to a mid grade fuel and be better for your engine, at least that has been my experience.

Airshot

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The only reason I am using the Super is it's the only ethenol free grade we have available. Believe me, I would have rather paid 3.50 a gallon vers 4.25 a gallon, but that's the price to keep Ethenol out of my tank.

harleyman1975

Ensign

What engine are you running? if 4 stroke I/O it is no different than your car if 2stroke O/B then I can see some merit in running non oxy gas. I personally have no issue with oxygenayed fuel as long as it is used on a regular basis. I winterized my fuel by adding seafoam in the last couple of tankfuls of the season. I have been running the same machinery (boats, mowers, saws, snowblower, cars, motorcycle, snowmobiles, ect... some for over 12 years) without a trip to the mechanic for anything fuel related. Not trying to change anybody but I guess it is my experiance that you can run oxy fuel if you maintain your stuff properly.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What engine are you running?

He posted this in his original post I have a 1983 Mercruiser 228 (GM 305) I personally thought that described what engine he had, and since he posted in the Mercruiser forum, it's probably not a 2 stroke outboard..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Not trying to change anybody but I guess it is my experiance that you can run oxy fuel if you maintain your stuff properly.

All the marine manufacturers agree with you too.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I personally have a relatively "cheap" source of non-eth gas...so that's what I use in all of my daily drivers as the fuel of choice. I do however deem it the fuel of necessity for "toys" and equipment where the potential for fuel sitting for a prolonged period is a very real possibility. I don't believe that eth laden fuel is the liquid death some here profess it to be in a regularly used, and well maintained vehicle if the only alternative is paying "premium" prices. The ONLY difference I've noticed is a slight reduction in MPG (? 1-1.5MPG to be specific in 3 vehicles...and I do track it...minor OCD!:facepalm:).

As well I've used E-85(in 2 compatible vehicles) when I know my travels will be on primarily highway as the cost-v-loss is beneficial. Not so if driving in the city.