1966 Boston Whaler Currituck, 16'

Pepper Lunch

Recruit
I have a 1966 Boston Whaler Currituck, 16', 100 HP Evinrude outboard on it ('79). The boat is awesome. I purchased it in the Spring time and used it all through the summer in Annapolis area / Severn River.

I've slowly been doing some minor modifications to it, such as putting the blank rubber rail around the edge, custom canvas cover (blue) for the boat while on the mooring, and the outboard to avoid sun damage, took off original steering wheel and replaced w/ stainless steel (kept original though).

The seating of the boat is a little strange... bench seat in front of the consolde, then two wooden benches that run along the gunnels in the boat towards the anchor locker. I guess those are fine, but i'm thinking about installating a bench seat in the back that will cover the battery, fuel tanks, etc. I'm nervous about drilling into the fiberglass however...... any suggestions if this is even feasible w/ this model? Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1966 Boston Whaler Currituck, 16'

Jb who is a moderator here has owned a few BW boats...... post some pictures of your seating. I have never seen a seat that far t the stern in a whaler but I could be wrong.

You can do just about anything however, I caution you about drilling .....if you go too far you will have a hole in the outer hull!!! Any and all holes need to be absolutely sealed or you will get the flotation wet.

Pepper Lunch

Recruit

Thanks for your response, will try and get some pics up. I feel the boat is overpowered w/ the 100 hp evinrude. The entire boat, engine, etc. is only like 600 lbs or something. The boat probably goes in excess of 50 mph w/ the engine. I use to have a 16' dauntless 2002 whaler which didn't go nearly as fast as the currituck, even though it had a 115 mercury (much heavier boat).

What was the general feeling/reviews on the curritucks? good boats? bad boats?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

he Currituck wasn't the most popular model on the 16' hull, but it was still a Boston Whaler. Many people have remodeled them to the specs of the Sakonnet or even imitations of Montauk 17s (these are often called "Madetauks"). Though the 16 hull is rated for 100hp I agree that that is too much power (and weight) for all-round performance and handling.

I repowered my 1966 Sakonnet with a 1979 Johnny 70 and was much happier with it (see avatar).

I have some diagrams and pix I could share with you. PM me.

rico suave

Seaman

I have schematics for my 1971 Nauset if the hull is the same. It would show location of wood support under the floor, but do you really want to do this?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

i was going to suggest a 70 as well. never heard of the "Currituck" even though I live not far from Currituck Sound!

continuouswave.com is a whaler owner/restoration site.

I'm working on an old 14. One trick for drilling holes (I have to redrill mine) is to fill them with something that will harden, drill a pilot hole, thread that hole with a tap and die, and screw in the corresponding bolt, rather than using wood screws.

Sometimes you can find the wooden parts from a hull that has been junked, but usually it's the other way around.