Fuel/water separator

Hi, I am going to install a fuel/water separator on the boat & was looking for recommendations at to where to mount it. Are they OK to go on the outside of the boat in the OB cavity? (out of the way of all steering & tilt of course). Thanks again!

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Fuel/water separator

Look for a place on the inside of the transom, generally below the motor in an area clear of steering and control cables, etc., but easy to access to clean or change the cartridge. Study on it and get it right...remember the old saying, "measure twice, cut once";)

Look for a place on the inside of the transom, generally below the motor in an area clear of steering and control cables, etc., but easy to access to clean or change the cartridge. Study on it and get it right...remember the old saying, "measure twice, cut once";)

Thanks Robert! My biggest concern is that the boat police don't get fussy about where I put it & I've got a great little spot picked out in the outboard cavity that will keep it out of the way & still easy to get to. Was not sure if it is acceptable to put it on the outside of the railing even though it's tucked out of the way. Still learning... thanks again!

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

I installed mine high in the outboard area on the fence so I can open the deck section over the motor and get at it easily. I've had the boat inspected by the CGA and they didn't have a problem with it.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Nice clean install rick. But it shouldn't be sharing the compartment with a battery

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

It's in the open area of the transom. If it was in an enclosed compartment, I would agree.

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Rick. I talked to quite a few people who should know and looked at a few new pontoons before I mounted mine. The consensus seemed to be if it wasn't in an inclosed space it would be fine. Here's mine.

396806102.jpg

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice clean install rick. But it shouldn't be sharing the compartment with a battery

A lot of boats share the fuel separator and the batteries, plus a hot engine. At least that's where mine is, right in the engine compartment.

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But don't mount it directly above (over) the battery.