Trim tabs

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Greetings to all. I have a Quicksilver 270 (8 ft 6 in) with a 6 hp merc 4 stroke, planed good with just me but struggled with the wife aboard. I dropped down to a 7 pitch prop with some improvement, next I tried stingray jr whale tail, it now planes ok with the 2 of us but I think there is room for improvement. I am thinking about fabricating some trim tabs. Has anyone done this on a similar set up? If so could you post a pic. Thanks much :)

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim tabs

Hi dan t here is what I came up with, the parts are from two door closers I have to release one nut to adjust them, I have seen a few others made useing turn buckel's and I think they are a better and a lot less hassel
View attachment 173038 I did away with the seat and moved the fuel tank up front and added a bench seat

Drowned Rat

Captain

Those are pretty slick, slate.

Dan, something like that would provide some benefit, but the ideal setup would use self adjusting or remote adjustable tabs. I doubt that you could fabricate on your own what you can get from Smart Tabs at their price point. Take a look. If you decide to go with that brand, be sure to order the 20# actuators as anything more is way too much for such a light boat.

Like these >>>
DSC03088.jpg

dazk14

Ensign

We have install quite a few of these over the years.

http://www.maximarine.com/products/lifters/index.html

The pic shown was is a 3hp. Owner very good guy and helpful if you have questions. Double check the fitment regarding width opening left for your lower unit to rotate, although we haven't run into any problems.

Easy to install and remove.

Smart tabs help as well, but the lifters yield the maximum benefits.

Here is another page with the 3hp... http://www.maximarine.com/products/lifters/Lifters_Brochure.PDF

Last edited:

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the replys, gives me some ideas, I have a long winter ahead and need something to tinker with. I am thinking something like Slates with turnbuckle adjustment. I will post some pics when the project is done.