aq130 getting hot

Raycarter

Cadet
I have an aq130 with a 270 outdrive. I just got the boat and have been trying to get it going. I have it running right now, but cant get it to run on ear muffs. I have been running it with the hose on the inlet side of the pump inside the boat in a bucket. It sucks water fine and keeps the engine cool, right around 180. However when I shut the engine down the temp gauge goes up to around 240. Is this normal? Also the engine block and head are very hot, however, the exhaust manifold is cool to the touch. Also when I went to drain the block peck **** only a few drops of water came out. Is there a chance that the water passageway is blocked?
One last thing I noticed is the exhaust manifold is cracked around one of the freeze plugs. Can that be welded? There is only water dripping out of it.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: aq130 getting hot

Sounds like you've got several things that might be going on. Let's start with the water suction issue. In the bottom of the outrive, there is also a hole that must be plugged in order to pick up water. If that's taken care of, we'll need to take a look at everything on the suction side. Any source of air entry on the suction side will be detrimental to pumping water. One of the more common bad actors is the fitting just below the gearbox. The fitting corrodes from the inside and it's not allways obvious that there is anything wrong with it. If you're sure that's in good shape, check for any other sources of air inleaksge, including the strainer. A way to check upstream of the strainer is to install a clear piece of tubing from the chrome inlet pipe on the forward side of the transom and check for air bubbles there.

Next issue is the engine itself getting hot. The first thing I'd check is for the condition of the impeller. Next is for the presence of a thermostat. Without a thermostat, water will just flow out through the exhaust manifold and won't circulate through the engine. If you're not getting any water at all out of the block drain, completely remove the plug and stick a stiff wire up there to loosen and clear any rust and debris.

As for the issue of the exhaust mainfold, first check to see if you've got water in the oil. A cracked manifold is one of the signs of freeze damage. If the block froze, you've got other problems and might as well stop working on the cooling system. As far a weld repair on an exhaust manifold, most don't recommend weld repairs on cast iron manifolds, especially since they are considered replacement items. Doesn't mean it can't be done, check with a shop to see what they recommend. If this is a salt water boat, you're probably wasting your time and should look for a replacement manifold.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Raycarter

Cadet

well I have checked and done many of the things you mentioned. I plugged the bottom hole but still no water. I checked the impeller it good. I checked the elbow on the outdrive the elbow itself is good. I took it off and replaced the top gasket but I couldnt get the steering tube off to replace the bottom bushing. Any advice on that? I have looked at the manuals and they dont really explain how the tube come out so I can remove and replace the bushing. I have pulled the thermostate housing out and tested it it opens and closes fine. Like I mentioned in the first poste I ran it on a bucket inside the boat and had it running for a long time and it held right around 180. As for water in the oil when I drained it It was kinda milky and I still get some milky water out of the oil cooler (Which I have also tested and replaced the o-rings.) but I refilled the oil and so far it does not appear milky. Would it show right away or will it take a while. I also noticed last time I took it out the oil was full and when I came back it was empty. I didnt notice any oil in the bilge so it could have only gone out the exhaust. The boat has only been used in fresh water.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

As for water in the oil when I drained it It was kinda milky and I still get some milky water out of the oil cooler (Which I have also tested and replaced the o-rings.) but I refilled the oil and so far it does not appear milky. Would it show right away or will it take a while. I also noticed last time I took it out the oil was full and when I came back it was empty. I didnt notice any oil in the bilge so it could have only gone out the exhaust. The boat has only been used in fresh water.

Water in the oil sometimes doesn't show up again until you run it at temp and under load. As for as all the oil being gone ... well ... someone overstating the obvious might say "that's not a good thing" :eek: