Boats for sale around NYC

hostage

Lieutenant
I am visiting family this week and took a look at some websites. I am very impressed about you can get for a good price in this area even from a dealer. I know a lot of these boats are used in salt water and I hear that can add additional wear. I think I heard you might have to replace you manifolds sooner. The large selection and the low price point makes the 5 hour drive each way well worth it. This boat seems like a good price, granted it doesn't come with a trailer, though it seems easy to find an old trailer for cheap: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-Monterey-220-Explorer-101828980

Kind Regards,

Hostage

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boats for sale around NYC

except for the I/O, which I know nothing about, the salt water aspect is not a big deal on a boat 10 years old or newer--except a few boats like bass boats, with fittings not made for marine use. Lots of perfectly good used boats trade hands in areas where 90% of the boats are 100% salt water. The trailer is the bigger concern since most people dunk them nowadays.

Once you get to old boats, on some the salt takes a toll, on others sun, on others fresh water, on others freezing. Each can have serious effects, or virtually no effects, depending on general care in the particular environment.

Right now is the time to buy. Our CL is full of boats people want to move before winter. I would think that since any kind of storage in or around NYC will be expensive, as is winterizing, it's even more worthwhile for them to sell now. In places where storage is cheaper, winterizing not important, there would be less pressure.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

except for the I/O, which I know nothing about, the salt water aspect is not a big deal on a boat 10 years old or newer--except a few boats like bass boats, with fittings not made for marine use. Lots of perfectly good used boats trade hands in areas where 90% of the boats are 100% salt water. The trailer is the bigger concern since most people dunk them nowadays.

Once you get to old boats, on some the salt takes a toll, on others sun, on others fresh water, on others freezing. Each can have serious effects, or virtually no effects, depending on general care in the particular environment.

Right now is the time to buy. Our CL is full of boats people want to move before winter. I would think that since any kind of storage in or around NYC will be expensive, as is winterizing, it's even more worthwhile for them to sell now. In places where storage is cheaper, winterizing not important, there would be less pressure.

I think the obsessive maintenance, religiously flushing the drive train / engine, protecting from the elements and a good waxing a couple of times a year has alot to do with it. My '92 has 1300 + hours on her (with origional 7.4 L Bravo 1 drive) fresh AND salt water boat and still is tops for me. Take care of her and she'll return the favor. She still turns heads when blasting around at 52 mph and still shines almost like new.

It's a buyer's market and if you do your homework, you can find some sweet deals.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am visiting family this week and took a look at some websites. I am very impressed about you can get for a good price in this area even from a dealer. I know a lot of these boats are used in salt water and I hear that can add additional wear. I think I heard you might have to replace you manifolds sooner. The large selection and the low price point makes the 5 hour drive each way well worth it. This boat seems like a good price, granted it doesn't come with a trailer, though it seems easy to find an old trailer for cheap: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-Monterey-220-Explorer-101828980

Kind Regards,

Hostage

Hmm, that vintage outdrive is probably a generation 1 Bravo 3 which had corrosion issues even when properly maintained in fresh water (insufficient anode protection and high tendency for galvanization due to the stainless props on the aluminum drive cases). I don't think there was a Mercathode system yet that year, either, which really makes a salt water boat prone to drive corrosion, and with the bottom paint it was probably kept in the water. A bit strange they show detailed photos of every other area of the boat *except* the drive. How many hours on it?

tpenfield

Staff member

OK, here is one that I was eye-balling a couple of months ago . . . it was listed for $35K then, but I see it is down to $29.9K . . . Probably could get it for $27-28K

http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/3290900149.html

There was a F-280 listed in Freeport, NY, but I believe it has sold . . .

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Next time I'm shopping I'm going to look a tad more north, CT, upstate NY (Lake George), maybe PA.
You find Less hours, Freshwater use, and sometimes indoor storage.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Next time I'm shopping I'm going to look a tad more north, CT, upstate NY (Lake George), maybe PA.
You find Less hours, Freshwater use, and sometimes indoor storage.

or go south where there are more boats and less severe freezing. saltwater use isn't an issue for newer, quality boats--even avoids blisters!