Live-well Overflow thru-hull installation question.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
(Pardon the new thread, my current threads topic is not related to this issue and is not generating hits for it. I'm pressed for time to get this done, do to rapidly approaching winter, and 7 day cure time on 5200...)

My Livewell drain and overflow, were poorly installed. I plugged the holes, and am going to redrill, to add proper thru-hulls and seacocks. I am adding Seacocks and Bronze thru-Hulls.... but, I won't be able to redrill through the plugs in the original location, as, they wont fit now that I'm adding seacocks. The drain will be fine. It's the overflow that is the question. Looks like I need to drill a new hole. I'm not sure where to drill the new hole. Here is a look at the drain and over flow. The real question, is, how to proceed with the livewell overflow. Now that I have to drill a new hole, I have new options of where to put it. Do I just make the hole as close to the original as it will fit, or, should I re-locate it, higher on the transom, closer to the water line? Or, anywhere that it fits easily? Or, something else?

YouTube video of it: http://youtu.be/LsF5QmcyM1s

The key question here is:

I plugged the overflow thru-hull of my live well. It ran from the livewell, to the near bottom of the Transom. There is no room to return it to that spot. Now that I will be drilling a new hole, and therefor have the option to CHOOSE where the over flow thru-hull goes.... Where should I put it? As close to the bottom where it was originally, up higher/closer to the water line, wherever the darn thing fits, or... something else? It's a 1-1/4" through hull. So it's not going to be a large hole.

Attachments

• IMG_6819.jpg
    IMG_6819.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6820.jpg
    IMG_6820.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6821.jpg
    IMG_6821.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6822.jpg
    IMG_6822.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1
  • livewell.jpg
    livewell.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 1

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Live-well Overflow thru-hull installation question.

I think that as long as the overflow drain outlet is lower than the top of the livewell you can put it anywhere you want to. Its hard to see where that is compared to the waterline of the boat. If I could I would keep the overflow outlet above the boats waterline for safety's sake. It has to be below the top of the livewell. If I could I would also go through the hull where there is no wood, like the side of the hull maybe? The drainline should go downhill all the way to the drain opening.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think that as long as the overflow drain outlet is lower than the top of the livewell you can put it anywhere you want to. Its hard to see where that is compared to the waterline of the boat. If I could I would keep the overflow outlet above the boats waterline for safety's sake. It has to be below the top of the livewell. If I could I would also go through the hull where there is no wood, like the side of the hull maybe? The drainline should go downhill all the way to the drain opening.

Thank you for checking in. Excellent to be able to compare my thoughts with yours to see how I'm doing. I just went out and had a good look at it. I don't think I can get it to the side where there is no wood. Looks like it would end up uphill, do to the way I'd have to route the hose. The tanks overflow drain looks to be only a tiny bit above waterlevel. I've only had the boat in the water twice. Once was dark, and once was a disaster and I barely got a look at anything. But, from a short video clip I have, and memory, I can see that the water line is about at the top of the black paint, just above the large deck drains at the sides. I think the best I can do, to get them above the water line, is put them about at the waterline. I'll look and measure, and whatnot, to see how up I can get away with. But, that's what it's looking like. The downhill would be minimal at that point, but it would be downhill. So, assuming I have no choice but to go through the Transom through the wood (I'll look it over again to be SURE of that).... based on your thoughts here, we think I should put the new thru-hull as high as possible, while still being downhill... yes?

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I plugged the drain in the Well, and filed it. Looks like it drains well, at a max of about 1 inch below the lower motor bolt. Anything higher and it slows considerably, and a tad more, it stops.... Looking at the photo of the Transom. That puts my max hight, at, about the middle point between the little white square on the black paint (my latter goes there), and the lower bolt on the motor...roughly in line with the big deck drain on the end. This puts the drain at about the water line, or, I'm thinking, just under it....

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you have it figured out. The testing you did was a really good idea. Now you know just what you can get away with. Good Luck!

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like you have it figured out. The testing you did was a really good idea. Now you know just what you can get away with. Good Luck!

Yes and No. Sometime I THINK I know what to do, but, so many others have endless more experience and say do THIS, and THIS makes much more sense. So, do you think that the best solution is to place it as high as I can get away with?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

If its going to be below the water line anyway it won't make much difference how high it is. Go for the best drain performance. You don't want the livewell pump putting water in faster than it can drain out. Yeah, everybody has their own best way to do things.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yes and No. Sometime I THINK I know what to do, but, so many others have endless more experience and say do THIS, and THIS makes much more sense. So, do you think that the best solution is to place it as high as I can get away with?

Hello Cerenzio and thanks for the PM to your new thread.

I would have to check on your other thread .. but I think I suggested seacocks on the bottom of the boat.

I might have said flippantly that any through hull under water should have them.

However .. on the transom your not really gonna snap off a bronze fitting ( or any fitting realistically ) by hitting a chunk of wood.

So .. I think your safe to put any fitting ( bronze or high quality marine plastic ) on your transom without the seacock.

That being said .. I would put those through hull fittings back where they were originally.

Hope this helps some.

YD.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello Cerenzio and thanks for the PM to your new thread.

I would have to check on your other thread .. but I think I suggested seacocks on the bottom of the boat.

I might have said flippantly that any through hull under water should have them.

However .. on the transom your not really gonna snap off a bronze fitting ( or any fitting realistically ) by hitting a chunk of wood.

So .. I think your safe to put any fitting ( bronze or high quality marine plastic ) on your transom without the seacock.

That being said .. I would put those through hull fittings back where they were originally.

Hope this helps some.

YD.

Hi YD,

Always a pleasure. You did indeed say that. I delayed the project to save up and spent a zillion dollars on Bronze Thru-Hulls with Seacocks..... Boy would it be easier (and way cheaper) to do it without seacocks...

The hull is 2" thick. I wonder if I can even find thru-hull hose type, that support 2" thick transom. Most I've seen are Max hull of less than that. Do you think I should return these and use Thru-Hull to hose with double clamp instead (if I can find them to support 2 inch hull), and save like $200+, or, should I use the stuff I have and suck it up? I will have to relocate the over flow drain, at least a little, because the flange on the Seacocks make it impossible to put it as close to the live well drain as it originally was, and, I need to be able to reach both handles.... That's why I figured, if I'm drilling a new hole, maybe I should bring it up higher.... But, sounding like maybe that's not necessary.

I guess the question left is: Should I do the Bronze thru-hulls and Seacocks? Or should I return them and use ones that clamp to hoses and cost $12125126189 less?

Sorry for babbling.

-G

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If its going to be below the water line anyway it won't make much difference how high it is. Go for the best drain performance. You don't want the livewell pump putting water in faster than it can drain out. Yeah, everybody has their own best way to do things.

Mine uses a scoop to fill it, and has a pump I can turn on and off, that sprays into it. I am not very familiar with it's behavior yet, since I have had to deal with all these problems, instead of actually use my boat and fish... grrrrrrr...

I was wondering if I could get it above the water line, but, from what I can guesstimate by my hose testings, measuring, etc... it would be close... like just below the line. So... I'll put good weight in your advice about drain performance. As luck would have it. The Thru-Hull for the Livewell drain, was too short to fit my 2" thick hull, so I had to order an extra long one, and cut it myself, but it's on special order or something, and I won't get it till the 31st. So, I get to mull the final plan decision till then. A painful few days wait. then, I'll try to get her done! Your thoughts on SeaCocks for this? Good, or overkill?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would not use seacocks on the transom through hull fittings...at least not in your boat.

Sorry If I overstated the reasons for underwater safety..It was more for the Bottom of the boat.

YD.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would not use seacocks on the transom through hull fittings...at least not in your boat.

Sorry If I overstated the reasons for underwater safety..It was more for the Bottom of the boat.

YD.

No worries though. I very much appreciate your time and help. I have learned so much, and it's priceless to have this interaction. I agree with you. I have wanted to do it without seacocks, but didn't want to go against experienced advise. I've gone back and forth on this in my head a zillion times...

I am going to go back to the drawing board, and look at fittings. I need ones that are long enough to pass through a 2" thick transom, and still have enough barb to clam the hoses on. I do feel like I'd still prefer to use Brass... but, I'll have to see what's available. I have seen 1 stainless steal fitting that fit's my overflow (1-1/4 inch) at 2" max transomthickness, but no bronze yet, and nothing for the 1" drain, but, I'll keep at it...

P.S. All the hose-style fittings of any material say "Not for use below the waterline". Disregard that?

Speaking of bottom of the boat. The Scoop for the livewell is on the bottom of the boat and does not have a seacock. Would you care to see a pic or two, and let me know if I should do something about it?! I've been a bit concerned about that. There isn't a ton of room where it is installed... But I'm, of course, game to try and rectify any boat threatening installation.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I'd say your overthinking this a bit. Safety is important, don't get me wrong. Thing is anything can and does happen. Just pay attention and check your hoses from time to time and make sure your clamps are tight and go fishing. You can put sea cocks on everything thats below the water line, but were not talking about a commercial boat taking passengers for hire are we? If we were you would need sea cocks and reach rods to operate them from above the deck too. Just pay attention to maintenance and inspection and go fishing. Plastic fittings are fine where your putting them. I did spring for a SS one for my washdown pump because I needed to put it on the bottom where it could likely be sheared off by an underwater object but all the rest are plastic and doing fine.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We're talking about $20 total cost, compared to $200+, for these 2 remaining fittings. I'm all for it. Going to get an order in and arrange for a return! I HAD to at least get some agreement from others before doing it that way

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Plastic on the transom is fine for fittings.

Your a trailer boat the goes in and out every day that you use it.

You will not shear off plastic fittings in the stern.

YD.