1983 35hp Johnson - Electric Starter Removal

Larous

Cadet
Good Day:

I have a 1983 Johnson 35hp with a faulty electric starter; it is very slow and overheats - I have lost confidence in it and decided to replace it.

My question is with respect to it's removal.

It looks like there are two 3/8 bolts hold it on and threaded upward into a bracket next to the carburator. I have removed the wiring and moved it out of the way for better access to the bolts.

My issue is the bolts are very tight and I am afraid of stripping the heads; I am using a small 6 point 3/8 wrench which is about 4 or 5 inches long and I am having a very difficult time getting any leverage because of the short length of the wrench; I don't see much of an alternative to the short wrench since it is in a very tight space though I might be able to add another 4 inches to the handle of the wrench?

If any of you have experience with removing a starter in a similar tight spot I would very much appreciate your input.

Should I be using a different type of wrench?; I have tried to get a socket on the bolt but there is no room for the socket wrench; should I heat the bracket where the bolt threads into or the bolt itself?; is there a special tool for this job?; how hard is the bolt - it there much danger in stripping it?; I really want to get this starter off before I put the boat away for the season...

I appreciate and look forward to any feedback.

This is a great motor and really don't want to mess this up.

Good day,
Larous

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1983 35hp Johnson - Electric Starter Removal

I think tt should the same part as on my 1980 E35ECSM, and there should be a nut above carb near the engine body, a bolt on the side at the other end of the bracket and one down below the solenoid where also one ground lead is attached. Then you will also have to open the screws holding throttle control level clamp. Mine does not have any obstructions to removing the nut with a socket and an extension easily. The bracket should then slide off forwards.

Larous

Cadet

I think tt should the same part as on my 1980 E35ECSM, and there should be a nut above carb near the engine body, a bolt on the side at the other end of the bracket and one down below the solenoid where also one ground lead is attached. Then you will also have to open the screws holding throttle control level clamp. Mine does not have any obstructions to removing the nut with a socket and an extension easily. The bracket should then slide off forwards.

Thank you very much! I will look into it.
Larous

bullcity101

Seaman

I have taken my starter assembly off several times to take the carb off for a clean. Should be the same as my 1985 30hp. I use a 6inch closed ended wrench and works just fine. maybe try some pbblaster to soak them for 15 minutes or so. sounds like some rust or something might be holding them tight. I wouldn't try heat as you don't want to melt any of the insulation on the wires.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very likely the steel bolts have corroded with the aluminum of the block. The only answer is your choice of bolt tonic and patience. If you get too rowdy with it you will either break the bolt or strip the aluminum.

Larous

Cadet

I have taken my starter assembly off several times to take the carb off for a clean. Should be the same as my 1985 30hp. I use a 6inch closed ended wrench and works just fine. maybe try some pbblaster to soak them for 15 minutes or so. sounds like some rust or something might be holding them tight. I wouldn't try heat as you don't want to melt any of the insulation on the wires.

I was succeeded in getting it off today. Liquid Wrench and patience.

Thank you for your input.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

If you have not already ordered a new one you might consider taking the starter to a generator shop and having it rebuilt; I did one two days ago and was charged 35.00 which beats the heck out of the $175.00 for a new one. Just a thought.