1986 Mastercraft Tristar Makeover

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice
it was recomended that i post my resto project here. so i have an 86 tristar in need of some tlc. i purchased the boat a couple months ago, she needs some interior work and a good buff n polish job. also a new windshield and some other minor touch ups to the gauge bezel and the trim by the steering wheel.
boat2.jpg

assend.jpg

bow2.jpg

backseat1.jpg

sidepanel.jpg

S5003539.jpg

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 Mastercraft Tristar Makeover

here are the 3 covers that are made so far. i ran out of material so im waiting for more to arrive.
didnt want to order too much and not be able to do the project and be out that money.
the 2 long pieces are 2 of the back for the bow. the smaller square is one bottom for the rear sears which didnt have any bottoms.

S5003551.jpg

seat1.jpg

86 century

Ensign

Looking good

The only thing about not buying at the material at once is the color can very from lot to lot. Unfortunately us normal folk sometimes are forced to do what wwe haft to.

The layout in that thing is not something you see everyday. I have read some conflicting reports on the size and shape have you had a chance to try it out.

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks!! yeah i just wanted to be safe and not waste money on material if i couldnt pull this off.

The layout is what attracted me to the boat, it is unique which i like a lot cause i dont like being like everone else lol. , everything about it was what i wanted, when i saw it i knew it was what i wanted.

i have had the boat out twice this year, she performed good and it moves out pretty nicely. one thing i noticed is that it can get a little bumpy on choppy water, BUT if you slow down to a certain speed you dont get the rough ride. i love the boat and honestly couldn't be happier.

what kind of mixed opinions have you heard??

86 century

Ensign

The mix opinions I had heard where mostly about the wake.
There was some talk about the bottom of the transom being round that made the wake soft.

What I have found is that most comp boats ride a bit rough in the chop has to do with being darn near flat bottom.
Most of them have tendency to porpoise pretty bad at times to. Being a direct drive there isn't much you can do about it.

If you are into water sports I highly recommend perfect pass cruise control it makes every one a good driver.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that is a cool looking setup
haven't heard much of good or bad about them...just always liked their lines

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice

yeah the wake is a little soft, but at different speeds the wake changes a lot!!!
honestly i dont need a huge wake since me nor my friends plan on jumping or doing anything crazy.

KennethfromGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome looking boat and certainly a unique style. Can't wait to see her all finished up.

86 century

Ensign

The tristar was a bit of a departure from the rest of the Mastercraft line not that that is a bad thing.
I am sure you will be able to get her to do whatever you need.
I like the layout would make it easier to move around in with near Max load of people.

Where our supra with the more traditional dd inboard layout it seams like I am always stepping over people.
If they would just make that single console model in a vdrive.

ls1adam

Seaman Apprentice

back from the dead.
i still have the boat and have most of the seats done. i fell into some money issues so i had to put the project on the back burner for a bit.
i have taken the boat out about 8 times now and she performs great. im going to try and finish her up before next season.
is there any maintenance i should do beside the basics?