does a tandem axle trailer need brakes on both axles?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
hello. I am picking up a starcraft on a nice galvanized tilt trailer that was a tandem axle....but the crummy little axles that were on there rusted away to nothing. I ordered a galvanized axle at 3500 lbs and new tires and rims and hubs( non brake) to install just to get the riug home... I am thinking of adding an axle with electric brakes for the other axle...is this ok?

one axle with electric brakes , one with no brakes?

seems better than nothing..

obviously the electric brake axles is quite a bit more....

the boat and motor is said to be 2000 lbs, and I bet this trailer weighs at least 600 lbs... add in gas and gear I am sure the whole rig goes over 3000 lbs.

so I am looking to get at least one axle with brakes...is that OK?
the ones I looked at are 10" dexters

thanks

bob

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: does a tandem axle trailer need brakes on both axles?

Bob - Many, if not most, tandems only have brakes on one axle.

oldjeep

Admiral

Depends on your state laws. In MN all axles on trailers over 3000lbs must have brakes. In WI you can have them on just one axle.

Thalasso

Commander

Trailers weighing over 1,000 pounds unladen, and trailers having a maximum gross weight in excess of
3,000 pounds, must be equipped with brakes.

Here is the relevant DMV document: for NY MV529c There is a post up from yours that addresses this

From reading it My opinion it is okay with brakes on one axle

UncleWillie

Captain

... I am thinking of adding an axle with electric brakes for the other axle......I am sure the whole rig goes over 3000 lbs... I am looking to get at least one axle with brakes...is that OK?...

Get it weighed; If the tires are rated for the load, and the gross weight is under the 3500lb axle rating, Just add brakes to the current axle.
There is little reason to add a second axle and tires to to haul what one axle will carry by itself.
Position it so the tongue weight is 250-300lbs and you will be good.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just like in the US our regulations can vary by Province. My tandem trailer was imported into Canada. Provincial regulations state that any tandem trailer built after 1985 must have two breaking axles. No prob.....my surge break system is shot and needs a complete overhaul and the idler axle has a plate which will accept additional drum break kits. A winter project!

cyclops2

Banned

Get it weighed on certified Public scales................Keep the printout in the tow vehicle. You may be pleasantly supprised.

dazk14

Ensign

Massachusetts - no brakes needed until 10,000 Gross weight.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I think a boat and trailer set up like yours would be just fine with just one braked axle.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

My old rig was around 5,500lbs on a single surge brake axle tandem and it stoped fine, - New rig is around 7,600 with surge brakes on both axles and it stops well also. I think you would be fine with one brake axle with the weight you are carrying.

LK

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

yeah I am staying with dual axles.... I have two other trailers and I like the 205-15 tires with a load range of C. which vary from 1750 lbs to 2050 lbs. load capacity per tire.... if I put four of those on this new rig..I will always be safe and I can use a spare anywhere i need it..

I see single axle trailers with 5000 lbs capacitys... and MORE...wonder what tires they use????? and i am definately adding one set of brakes......

in NY , I think any trailer over 2750lbs load...has to have brakes...at least the surge brakes

bob