Gabriel Hi-Jackers install question

TilliamWe

Banned
The instructions with these shocks were amazingly incomplete. But since I have installed shocks before, it shouldn't have been a problem. But I have a dumb question.

When I manually extended the new Gabriel air shocks to fit in place, the shaft is what extended out of the top of the shock. Is that correct, or should I have hooked up the air line and used compressed air to extend them? And when they are extended, is it the shaft that will stick out of the top of the shock, or is there a rubber bellows, like on the factory absorber? (Note that the shock has kind of a "skirt" that forms a cover over the lower part of the shock absorber. I can't tell if that covers an expandable rubber bellows or not.)

Basically, what extends on these air shocks, the rod up from the top, or the body of the shock downwards?

I don't have the ability to post photos, but I was hoping someone could understand by my description.

Here is the photo of the completely compressed shocks, from AutoZone's website.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...n20hZ8oxxx?itemIdentifier=229761_116379_6636_

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Gabriel Hi-Jackers install question

The "Air Shocks" have 2 independent functions. One is to act as a shock. The second is to increase load carrying capacity, the Air part of the system. "(Note that the shock has kind of a "skirt" that forms a cover over the lower part of the shock absorber. I can't tell if that covers an expandable rubber bellows or not.)" It does. I suspect you are extending the shock rod by your description.

TilliamWe

Banned

I am definately extendding the shock rod. My question is, "is that what is supposed to extend?"

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Yes. Until you put air pressure to the units. Then the air bag section will extend.

TilliamWe

Banned

Okay, that makes me feel a little better! Thanks!